cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same account, two different creditors

tag
Manny00

Same account, two different creditors

I noticed on my credit report that I have an account listed twice. One by the original creditor and one by the collection agency. It's due to come off next year, but I may be applying for a mortgage loan before it does so I'm hoping I can get at least one removed. Is it the norm for the collection and original creditor to report negative accounts? And can I dispute this? It's past the SOL dates so I know I'm safe in regards to that. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Same account, two different creditors

Unfortunately it is quite common and standard for an original creditor account and a collection account to both report negatively, as two different accounts.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Same account, two different creditors

Yes, their separate reporting is of apples and oranges, and is totally proper.

The OC reporting is of activity on your account with them.

The debt collector reporting is of their authority to conduct collection activiites on the debt, either as an asignee of the creditor, or as the owner of the debt.

The collection is not an "account" of yours, it is a reporting account with the CRAs.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.