Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same collection account reporting twice

tag
JennaD075
Contributor

Same collection account reporting twice

I have an account in collections that I just let sit there until I got serious about taking care of my debts. Ironically the day I started gathering my balances and making arrangement (but I had not gotten around to this one yet) I got served at work. 

I called them and they agreed to a payment plan.  They offered PFD but I was not able to afford it at the time.  They agreed to $200 every two weeks to come directly out of my bank account (was the only way they would do a payment plan if I let them debit my account). This was to be for June, July & August. 

It would not be paid off in September but the collector told me they will only do 3 months of a payment plan at a time and that she will call me to set up new arrangements for September and either set up new arrangements at that time or offer another PFD. 

I never received a call from her and was set to call her in the beginning of September. I wanted to wait until after I got paid.  Instead they tried to debit my account again for the $200 that was set up every 2 weeks for June, July and August.  This company refuses to do anything in writing.  I'm sure so they can get away with everything. I called and left a message for my collector asking her to send me what my current balance is in writing and I will either set up another arrangement or do a PFD. She called me back and said she will not send me anything in writing (states she has told me this several times & she has not).

Long story a little shorter I went round and round with her ended up filing a complaint with the BBB.  They did respond to the complaint but did not respond to my response to their complaint.  The BBB suggested I take legal action.  I am not going to go that route.  I want to get this paid off and done with. 

Once I filed the complaint "coincident" there are now two accounts for this same account on my credit report.  The original one stopped reporting in August and the new account started in September and they update the balance monthly on the new account they created.  My question is what kind of dispute do I file on my credit report? I am not going to contact the collection agency. I will no longer speak with them verbally (they are very abusive and bullies) and they refuse to do any business in writing.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
JennaD075
Contributor

Re: Same collection account reporting twice

Nobody has any advice on where I should go from here?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried  disputing  with the cras?

Message 3 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

You may want to consider filing a complaint with the CFPB if they are reporting inaccurately.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You need to dispute prior to filing a complaint with the CFPB.

The inaccuracy is the reporting of two collections on the same debt.

Fiel the dispute via the CRA, as their policy requires deletion of a prior xollection if closed without satisfaction of the debt.  They can delete under their reinestigation rights if you adequately document that it is for the same debt.

Message 5 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

Fiel the dispute via the CRA, as their policy requires deletion of a prior xollection if closed without satisfaction of the debt.  They can delete under their reinestigation rights if you adequately document that it is for the same debt.

+1.   A CFPB complaint would be a secondary step if CRA disputes weren't successful.  Thank you very much, Robert, for clarifying this

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 9
JennaD075
Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Thank you for all your help! When you say adequately document that it is for the same debt does that mean explain it well or include some sort of paperwork? I don't have anything from them other than the papers they filed with the courthouse.

Message 7 of 9
JennaD075
Contributor

Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go ahead and let them be abusive and bullies - just record the calls and inform them that they are now in clear violation of FDCPA and are liable for $1000 fines for EACH OFFENSE. Tell them they can just deduct it from your balance unless they want you to play the recording of their abusive calls in from of a judge.

I'll bet that straightens them out a little. Many CA's are hot to file cases in court, but the LAST thing they want is for YOU to show up in court.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.