Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Santander 30 Day Lates

tag
Angelmom9905
Established Member

Santander 30 Day Lates

So, we had some financial issues in fall 2013 and Santander Consumer offered the option to defer 2 payments, which we accepted.  We were told that the late fees and charges would be deferred as well and tacked onto the end of the loan.  Fast forward to present, they marked our accounts as 30 days late starting in October, which was the first month of deferment and continued to do so until March 2014 even though we made Dec, Jan and Feb payments on time.  Apparently the fees that were supposed to be "added to the end of the loan" were reported as past due for those 3 months.  I politely inquired for a goodwill both via phone and letter.  Today I receive a call from the office of the President, informing me that they do not delete past lates as they are responsible for reporting accurate info to the CRAs.

Any thoughts on my next move? I'm really disappointed, one for not catching it sooner, but especially since it was related to misrepresentation of how the deferment would help us avoid missing a payment, but all it did was help Santander collect more fees and they still reported negatively.

Starting scores Aug 2013: EX-546, EQ-500, TU-530
Current Scores: EX-665, EQ-630, TU-620
GOAL: 700 Club and a home of my own!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
growing123
Regular Contributor

Re: Santander 30 Day Lates

@Angelmom9905 wrote:

So, we had some financial issues in fall 2013 and Santander Consumer offered the option to defer 2 payments, which we accepted.  We were told that the late fees and charges would be deferred as well and tacked onto the end of the loan.  Fast forward to present, they marked our accounts as 30 days late starting in October, which was the first month of deferment and continued to do so until March 2014 even though we made Dec, Jan and Feb payments on time.  Apparently the fees that were supposed to be "added to the end of the loan" were reported as past due for those 3 months.  I politely inquired for a goodwill both via phone and letter.  Today I receive a call from the office of the President, informing me that they do not delete past lates as they are responsible for reporting accurate info to the CRAs.

Any thoughts on my next move? I'm really disappointed, one for not catching it sooner, but especially since it was related to misrepresentation of how the deferment would help us avoid missing a payment, but all it did was help Santander collect more fees and they still reported negatively.

You did the right thing and called them from the beginning stating you were going through a rough patch, and you trusted that they would honor their word. 

What about a complaint with the BBB?  Others might suggest differently, but this might be your next move IMO. 

Good luck either way!

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.