Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Santander Nightmare

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Santander Nightmare

Hi - I'm new here and can really use some advice.  Santander bought my auto loan from HSBC.  In June my car was totaled and my primary ins co then my Gap policy paid, leaving a balance of around $1,000.  This company does not send me statements so the only way I found out about the balance was to go online in July to find out about balance, and next payment due.  So in July I found out using their online tools that the next payment was due in Nov and for $53. (Before accident - payment was around $400). Of course I called to validate this info and the rep did confirm. So I paid the Nov bill. Next payment listed online was due in Dec and was for $125. The reps were never able to tell me why the payments were what they were.  Also, I was having a hard time getting reps to take my payments for some reason but someone always took them.  Consequently, I found out sometime in Feb that my car had actually been charged off in September! and is being reported to all 3 bureaus.  I did make copies of the online statements and am still making the payments on time.  I did hire an attorney.  I want the TL removed and I want something in writing stating what the remainder of the loan could be as I don't feel I can trust the online systems anymore. Is there something else I should be doing?  Just recently I was denied as a co-signer for my daughter's student loan.  The situation is dire! Otherwise, I have great credit.  Any and all advise will be appreciated!  Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ficofreaks
Valued Member

Re: Santander Nightmare

I feel your pain with Santander.  We had a couple lates that we had, but disputed them through the credit bureaus and one took them off and the other two updated with no lates since Santander is known for not validating with the credit bureaus.  You might try writing the big three a dispute letter...I think that should be enough.  Don't do it online, do it through snail mail.

Starting Score: TU 534 EQ 582 EX 582
Current Score: TU 534 EQ 582 EX 582
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Your GAP insurance should have paid the entire balance of the car.  It pays the difference of what it is worth and what is owed.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  But Gap didn't cover everything.  They deducted for prior damage (still unknown what the prior damage was which Geico, primary carrier, had already deducted the same so in essence I paid for that prior damage twice).  They also re-amortized my loan for a past due payment in June (about two weeks late). and about $400 in fees.  I never did receive a satisfactory answer to all these deductions.  So I think I'll resume that line of questioning.  By the way, my attorney suggested I write a letter to Santandor explaining what happend.  I will mail it certified on Monday and address it to Santander's CEO.  In my letter I am asking for a deletion of the charge off status and something in writing stating what my balance is since no one can give me a straight answer over the phone.

Does anyone have any experience with a Gap insurance company called CARco?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.