Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Satisfaction of Judgment

tag
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Satisfaction of Judgment

I received a satisfaction of judgment letter from the attorney office that I paid a judgment on.  Should I send a copy of this to the credit bureau's or just wait for them to update the info?  How long should I wait?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Satisfaction of Judgment

I'd give it about 2 months before disputing or sending documentation to the CRAs.

I don't know how reliable the CRAs are in taking documentation provided by the consumer as "fact," so I think they'd attempt to verify with the OC (in this case, the courts). And since it usually takes approximately 2 months for the satisfaction to seed through all the pertinent departments in the court system, I think you'd end up with the stupid thing "verified" and just be spinning your wheels.

At least, that's how it worked for us. YMMV.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Donks is the form certified with the courts too or is the form just signed by the lawyer? If it has gone through the court then you should be fine. If not then you need to go and file a motion so that it can be certified and vacated in court.
Message 3 of 15
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Dre,

It is just a copy of a form saying the judgment is satisfied.  They are submitting it to the courts to notify them.  Should I file a notice to vacate?  What do you think the chances are that the attorney office will fight this and show up to court? 
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes make sure you file a motion to vacate through the courts. They shouldn't put up a fight seeing you have paid the money that you owe. I just went through the same thing July 9th and as of today I have 0 judgments showing on my CR.
Message 5 of 15
Donks3369
Established Contributor

So did you just file a motion to vacate the judgment, show up in court and then they didn't show up?
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The "Satisfaction of Judgment" will probably have little impact on your overall score, although I could be wrong.  It will still appear as a public record showing you have paid it.

As you know a "Vacated Judgment" would remove the enitire record from your CR.

Since the creditor has been paid, I think there would be little chance of them showing up in court, especially since you have the "Satisfaction of Judgment" in hand.  Most judges would surely question any opposition the creditor may have to removing the record altogether.  However as others have said YMMV.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Donks3369 wrote:
So did you just file a motion to vacate the judgment, show up in court and then they didn't show up?

Yeah that's right. I filed a motion to vacate due to my judgment being paid in full. They didn't show up, the judge just needed to see a signed satisfaction of judgment from the lawyer and it was vacated.
Message 8 of 15
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Dre,

Thanks for your help.  Where do I get the signed satisfaction of judgment?  I just paid it off a week or two ago.  They said they would update the courts immediately that it has been satisfied.  Where do I go from here?  Thanks.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd really wait, if you can, at least 2-3 weeks longer for the documentation to "seed" through the system. If you try to dispute or even try to get a motion past the judge before then, it might not be recorded yet.

IMO, the government wheels always move slower than molasses in winter. The analogy that the left hand of the gov never knows what the right hand's doing also applies. :/

But as always, YMMV!
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.