cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving up to buy a car in December or January. Should I settle or pay in full on collections?

tag
ImperatorFuriosa

Saving up to buy a car in December or January. Should I settle or pay in full on collections?

Hey all, I posted this thread over a year ago

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Rebuilding-credit-after-a-few-hurricanes-dec...

I had an unfortunate car accident at the beginning of this year, right when my finances were starting to get better. I got an insurance payout, but in this market it's not enough to really get anything. So I've been saving for months. Also had some medical expenses to pay for (since I don't have health insurance and have to pay things out of pocket).

These are the current collections listed on my creditkarma (as I posted last year).

• $499 - Midland - (Original Creditor: Gamestop/Comenity) - Opened 8/'17
  • $671 - Portfolio Recovery - (OC: Capital One) - Opened 7/'18
  • $878 - Portfolio Recovery - (OC: Citibank/Best Buy) - Opened 3/'18
  • $962 - Portfolio Recovery - (OC: Capital One) - Opened 7/'18
  • $1,143 - Portfolio Recovery - (OC: Synchrony/Amazon) - Opened 8/'17

My plan was to snowball pay them off one by one starting with lowest to highest over the course of the next few months (while still saving up enough for a solid down payment on a new car). 

If I want to get approved for an auto loan sometime end of December or January, would it be better to settle by paying them in full, or negotiating a settle for less?

I called midland and asked for my options. They offered me $319 to settle the $499 debt. He claimed it would take 30 days to delete it off. Would paying in full vs. settle for less have any affect on my potential approval for an auto loan? The agent was obviously very persistent about me settling on the phone right then and there when I called yesterday. I told him I'd call back in a week or so. But he still kept trying to get me to settle it. I could afford to pay the $499 off this month right now. But which options should I go for?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Saving up to buy a car in December or January. Should I settle or pay in full on collections?

Both with Midland and Portfolio, they will remove the their tradelines after settling in full. So you should try to settle in full with both of them. 

It will take 30-60 days after you settle in full, but after that they will remove those collections from your credit report. If the OC's are still reporting, those will still stay, however. 

Per Midland Credit Management, Inc. policy, if an account is paid in full or settled in full after we begin credit reporting, we will request a deletion of our tradeline after the payment resolving the account is processed. We cannot control the timing within which the credit reporting agencies process our request, but it typically takes up to 45 days after payment for the tradeline deletion request to be processed.

Will Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC remove the account from my credit reports after it has been resolved?

Your account will be considered paid-in-full or paid-in-full for less than the full balance after your final payment is successfully posted. Within approximately 30 days of your final payment successfully posting, we will request that the credit reporting agencies delete our tradeline related to your account from your credit bureau report.

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Saving up to buy a car in December or January. Should I settle or pay in full on collections?

@GZG wrote:

Both with Midland and Portfolio, they will remove the their tradelines after settling in full. So you should try to settle in full with both of them. 

It will take 30-60 days after you settle in full, but after that they will remove those collections from your credit report. If the OC's are still reporting, those will still stay, however. 

Per Midland Credit Management, Inc. policy, if an account is paid in full or settled in full after we begin credit reporting, we will request a deletion of our tradeline after the payment resolving the account is processed. We cannot control the timing within which the credit reporting agencies process our request, but it typically takes up to 45 days after payment for the tradeline deletion request to be processed.

Will Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC remove the account from my credit reports after it has been resolved?

Your account will be considered paid-in-full or paid-in-full for less than the full balance after your final payment is successfully posted. Within approximately 30 days of your final payment successfully posting, we will request that the credit reporting agencies delete our tradeline related to your account from your credit bureau report.

This 100%. Take care of them ASAP, even if settling for less.

As far as approval odds for a car loan, I'd settle all of these, ensure they're fully gone from your reports, and then go for the auto loan. You'd have far better odds of approval at that point, AND you'd qualify for much better interest rates.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 10
ImperatorFuriosa

Will settling for less keep it on my credit report? As opposed to paying in full?

Message 4 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ImperatorFuriosa wrote:

Will settling for less keep it on my credit report? As opposed to paying in full?

No. Either way it would fall off after 7 years under normal circumstances. In this case, however, you're lucky (in a way) that all of your collections are with CAs that delete their TL upon being paid (even if settled for less, yes). The only thing is with Midland, 2 years since DOFD must have elapsed before they'll delete.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 10
ImperatorFuriosa

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@ImperatorFuriosa wrote:

No. Either way it would fall off after 7 years under normal circumstances. In this case, however, you're lucky (in a way) that all of your collections are with CAs that delete their TL upon being paid (even if settled for less, yes). The only thing is with Midland, 2 years since DOFD must have elapsed before they'll delete.

Ah ok.

On creditkarma it has this chart where it estimates how much your credit score will improve.

It says theoretically if I paid off a particular one in full, I'd improve my score by 25 pts. Whereas if I settle for less it will only improve by 23 pts. So I was curious if I paid in full would it fully delete. Or if I settled for less would it simply not be in collections anymore but showed I settled for less.

I just want to do whatever I can to improve my odds of getting a good auto loan for my new car in a few months. 

Message 6 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I wouldn't pay any attention to the CK score simulators, they're not going to correlate to FICO scores.

As stated above, if you can get these removed from your reports via PFD then you should see scoring improvements. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ImperatorFuriosa wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@ImperatorFuriosa wrote:

Ah ok.

On creditkarma it has this chart where it estimates how much your credit score will improve.

It says theoretically if I paid off a particular one in full, I'd improve my score by 25 pts. Whereas if I settle for less it will only improve by 23 pts. So I was curious if I paid in full would it fully delete. Or if I settled for less would it simply not be in collections anymore but showed I settled for less.

I just want to do whatever I can to improve my odds of getting a good auto loan for my new car in a few months. 

Their estimates apply only to Vantage scores, which is the scores they provide. Even then, I wouldn't trust those estimates at all.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 10
ImperatorFuriosa

Update:

I paid the $671 and the $962 off, they were removed from collections on my account. A

My estimated credit score on CKarma dropped from 642 to 601! Would this translate to the real credit score? I want to pay off the other ones, but if it's gonna keep tanking my score down when I'm planing on getting a car in December/January I'm a bit worried!

Message 9 of 10
GZG
Valued Contributor

@ImperatorFuriosa wrote:

Update:

I paid the $671 and the $962 off, they were removed from collections on my account. A

My estimated credit score on CKarma dropped from 642 to 601! Would this translate to the real credit score? I want to pay off the other ones, but if it's gonna keep tanking my score down when I'm planing on getting a car in December/January I'm a bit worried!

@ImperatorFuriosa 

Vantage scores are pretty much meaningless. They are going to wildly flucuate while you rebuild and get rid of baddies.

What does matter are your FICO scores and those will improve by paying down your balances to 0 and removing collections from your report. Absoutely settle the rest of those collections as soon as you can, and then work on any other baddies on your CR.

My vantage score dropped to 416 at one point and was back upwards over 650 by the time I took care of the baddies that I could 

image.png

Consider the free? trial on experian's website to track a FICO score as opposed to a vantage score

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.