Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score drop

tag
virgo
Established Contributor

Score drop

Can somebody tell me why my score dropped 61 points after having three collection and charge off accounts removed.

I thought that would be a good thing.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
luckelle
Regular Contributor

Re: Score drop

Taking a shot in the dark and not knowing your profile. You lost average age. If they were old accounts it will hurt if the are paid and removed. On the other had them being paid and then they reset its age to current is bad too

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 2 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It isnt making sense. Where are you seeing this?

Message 3 of 17
virgo
Established Contributor

I hate to admit it but I'm seeing it on credit karma.

I did the actual dispute through the bureaus websites.

Thank you to anyone who responded

Message 4 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Click on whats changed on CK see what it says. Disputes are for inaccurate info not really for score changes.

Message 5 of 17
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

Yea, something's not adding up here, even for crazy VantageScore. You disputed these accounts through the CRAs individual websites, and they were removed? Were they legitimate debts, bc they're most likely coming right back to your reports if they were...fresh and newly updated. We're going to need a little more info to figure out what caused your score loss though. 

Team Garden Club as of Oct 2021
Message 6 of 17
Onlinecreditnewbie2
Contributor

Real question, and because a Tradeline is typically used for Creditors, and calculated with scores for length of CREDIT history.

From Experian

"What Happens When You Close an Account?"

Closing a credit account or paying off a loan can impact your credit scores in several ways. However, people commonly misunderstand how and when a closed account will impact age-related scoring factors. This may be because it depends on the type of credit score and the scoring model analyzing the information.

Why - would a collection account, negatively impact a score when it is removed, and because it is not a lender/creditor?

A negative/debt collector account - deleted, doesn't seem to allow for a reduction.

Message 7 of 17
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

@Onlinecreditnewbie2 wrote:
Real question, and because a Tradeline is typically used for Creditors, and calculated with scores for length of CREDIT history.

From Experian

"What Happens When You Close an Account?"

Closing a credit account or paying off a loan can impact your credit scores in several ways. However, people commonly misunderstand how and when a closed account will impact age-related scoring factors. This may be because it depends on the type of credit score and the scoring model analyzing the information.

Why - would a collection account, negatively impact a score when it is removed, and because it is not a lender/creditor?

A negative/debt collector account - deleted, doesn't seem to allow for a reduction.

No, the removal of a collection account shouldn't result in a score decrease. We're not getting the whole story here.

Team Garden Club as of Oct 2021
Message 8 of 17
virgo
Established Contributor

Screenshot_20210920-073210.png

So here's the screenshot of the report.

Message 9 of 17
virgo
Established Contributor

Oh and thank you everyone for your responses I greatly appreciate it.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.