Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score increasing from inquiries?

tag
mere2368
New Contributor

Score increasing from inquiries?

Ok, fist let me say, I am not complaining here... just curious.  Smiley Happy  Has anyone experienced score increases from inquiries??  I just recently started applying for new credit, and my score has increased on all three bureaus a couple of times from inquiries.  I thought my score would actually decrease?  Like I said, not complaining, just curious if this has happened to anyone else before.  Also, I get all my scores from fico... so none of these are fako scores.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score increasing from inquiries?

@mere2368 wrote:

Ok, fist let me say, I am not complaining here... just curious.  Smiley Happy  Has anyone experienced score increases from inquiries??  I just recently started applying for new credit, and my score has increased on all three bureaus a couple of times from inquiries.  I thought my score would actually decrease?  Like I said, not complaining, just curious if this has happened to anyone else before.  Also, I get all my scores from fico... so none of these are fako scores.  Thanks!

The inquiries merely triggered a recalculation of your scores, they did not cause the increase. Derogatory items aging, and current accounts maturing (since the last score update) is the likely cause of the score increases. 

Message 2 of 7
credgirl
Regular Contributor

Yeah...I got a big increase for inquiries last week for inquiries. I was expecting a drop in scores.
Message 3 of 7
credgirl
Regular Contributor

Sorry for dup typos.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inquiries, by themselves have very LITTLE effect on scores. The Inquiry category is only 10% of your scores, and don't really begin to subtract from your scores until you get more than a half dozen or so (within 12 months). When your scores are VERY high, they have more of an effect, but during rebuilding, as long as you don't go app crazy, and only apply for credit your are "likely" to be approved for, inquiries are just a non-issue.

Message 5 of 7
mere2368
New Contributor

Oh ok that makes sense.  Thanks so much for the info!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My TU report has 18 inqs (see my sig) and I expected it had the worst FICO score across the board, but a few days ago i got my TU FICO score from Discover and I was really surprised... 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.