Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score isn’t moving much

tag
JLL2104
Contributor

Score isn’t moving much

First of all, been reading messages here a couple weeks and your success stories so I joined. Everyone seems so nice! Here goes:
I started rebuilding this time last year. Started around 550 now at 650 (not complaining) here are a couple things I’ve done:
Got all the easy cards I could (Avant, credit one, premier, indigo, secured Citi)
Signed up with LexingtonLaw
Recently got a Cap1 Prem with 3k CL
Recently got Amex Green
My average age is 2.5
No collections
Nothing late
1% credit card balances on about 5k
I do have 100,000 in school loans. They are deferred so show current but I’m not paying on them
3 negative accounts but all closed with $0 balances.
I really want to get in the 700’s. Progress was steady at first but seems to have really slowed down. I want your success stories! Please give me advise
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: Score isn’t moving much

First if you have no negatives why are you with Lexington Law? They are a complete waste of money. Second list out your cards limits and balances plus the agency your collection accounts are with. Thirdly welcome to the forum!

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 2 of 18
JLL2104
Contributor

Thank you for the warm welcome. LexingtonLaw actually wiped out a 1200 collection for me. What are considered negatives?
Message 3 of 18
JLL2104
Contributor

Suntrust (student loan) 100k opened in 2006. Shows current
Cap 1 - 3k limit no balance
One main loan - 8500 balance good standing
First national- 500 limit no balance
Premier- 700 limit no balance
Indigo - 300 limit no balance
Avant - 300 limit no balance
Citi secured - 200 limit no balance (graduates next month)
Credit one - 600 limit no balance
Amex Green - no balance
4 inquiries across the board
Message 4 of 18
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@JLL2014,

Great progress. I would suggest you try to work with the creditors or CA in those 3 negative account to see if they will delete them since they are paid. Do you know when they are scheduled to fall off your report? If by chance it’s 6 months or less you could ask for early exclusion from the CB’s.

I would also look at your credit mix to make sure you’ve optimized it. Your credit report usually shows the credit mix and how it’s being viewed.

Good luck

Message 5 of 18
JLL2104
Contributor

Where/ how do I get an official credit report? I didn’t know I could negotiate. How do I tell when they fall off? Thank you so much for the reply
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally have more success with keeping small balances on 2-3 cards than letting everything report zero. I got into the 700s partially by doing that.

But also I think having more available credit would help too. Doesn’t seem like you have a ton since so many cards are low limits. Amazon, Wayfair and Pottery Barn were early 5k limit cards for me.

Anything negative you can get off will help but you should try reporting tiny balances on 2 cards and see what happens.
Message 7 of 18
JLL2104
Contributor

Thank you so much! Does amazon or wayfair prequalify?
Should I try desperately to keep inquiries down? I’ve done pretty good so far I think (4)
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do the shopping cart trick with Wayfair and PB. 4 isn’t a lot. If you aren’t working on a specific imminent goal like mortgage qualification, I’d suggest doing a few more cards all at once so the inquiries fall off together.
Message 9 of 18
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@JLL2014,

You can go to www.annualcreditreport.com to a free report(s) from the 3 major bureaus but only once a year and it will have the date those tradelines are scheduled to fall off. After that I would suggest you get a monthly subscription to myFICO.com ($40) and you get alerts from all bureaus anytime there is a change to your report or score and you get a monthly updated credit report from all CB’s.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.