Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score went down with baddies removed?

tag
anik28
Frequent Contributor

Score went down with baddies removed?

hello all,

I had a big huge charge off account removed from my credit. I was expecting my score to rebound but it actually went down quite a bit. I'm really surprised. It's disheartening to put work into rebuilding but your score goes the opposite direction.

any suggestions? Or just time to wait it out

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Score went down with baddies removed?

The only downside should have been that you lose the aging factor of the account - for istance, you removed one of your older accounts impacting AAoA. Not having any other details about your profile it is extremely hard to guess.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 2 of 6
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I agree likely you messed with the age but if that was the only cause your score will pop up quickly!    So don't worry you are heading in the right direction!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 6
anik28
Frequent Contributor

I think it has to do with the age - it was the probably the oldest account on my report. Most of my good credit is within the last 2-3 year's. I have a goal that 12 months from now I'll be 100 points higher than where I am at now score wise, time is probably the key player here along with not applying for any new credit for 12 months or more.

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

I agree likely you messed with the age but if that was the only cause your score will pop up quickly!    So don't worry you are heading in the right direction!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was it your only derogatory? If so it came from scorecard reassignment.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Either that or it was not regularly updating and it had been a while so the TPOD (total period of delinquency) catch up penalty got ya and outweighed the utilization benefit.

Read this post 2 mainly:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/General-Scoring-Primer-and-Version-8-Mas...
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.