Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Secured Credit Card

I'm helping my sister rebuild her credit, I know she needs a secrued credit card of course, well its best.

She can't go through capital one due to a baddie on her record. Any other that you guy's may recomend? IS there such a card that doesn't require a HP? Just a deposit?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Secured Credit Card

I'd suggest a local CU or bank. I got my first secured through a local bank that worked with FNBO. These still might be HPs.

Open Sky is another option as well. I've never used them, but I haven't heard anything super negative about them. Their website also says no credit check necessary.

Message 2 of 13
ORllyNao
Regular Contributor

It's my understanding that OpenSky does a SP only and it seems like that may work for her. More experienced folks may have others they recommend, but I'd look into that one for sure. 

FICO 8 | March 2023
Message 3 of 13
crrredit
Established Contributor

One of the national credit unions does a soft pull, but I think you have to join, fund an account and then call about a secured card. Sorry, can't remember the name. I wouldn't worry about a hard pull during the early stages of rebuilding. The positive affects to your score once you open your first three bank credit cards far outweigh the small hit for the hard pulls. I have three secured cards and they all did hard pulls. CapOne did a hard pull of all three bureaus. It was worth it. My score went up and I got unsecured cards inside of six months of opening the secured ones. 

Message 4 of 13
gibeon
Established Contributor

Open Sky is a good one for no credit checks. SDFCU is great, but has a small hoop (donation to association) to join.

If her baddie is WITH CapitalOne, and is more than a year old, she may very likely be able to get a secured card with them.

I have two, maybe three Charge Offs with them from a couple years ago and got a secured card in Late February, and then pre-approved for two QS1 cards in MARCH - all with unpaid charge-offs (which have since been paid...)

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 5 of 13
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

I have 2 baddies with CapOne.... I just applied for a secured card they approved me with a $200 deposit. Give it a shot.

Message 6 of 13
adifferentme
Contributor

She should try Cap1 again. They issued my co worker a secured card while she had a previous c/o secured card with them.
Message 7 of 13
titanofold
Established Contributor

When I was starting my rebuild OpenSky was the one I was considering. They handled interest in the same manner as any other credit: PIF by due date, then no interest.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm helping my sister rebuild her credit, I know she needs a secrued credit card of course, well its best.

She can't go through capital one due to a baddie on her record. Any other that you guy's may recomend? IS there such a card that doesn't require a HP? Just a deposit?

What is the "baddie", and how old is it?

Message 9 of 13
onefifty
Established Member

I just opened an opensky card and recieved 20+ points on every report so far. Had to start somewhere. Gl

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.