Did you mean: 

Secured WF upgraded to unsecured

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Re: Secured WF upgraded to unsecured

@Rebuild2019 wrote:
Hello,

I was thinking about applying with WF. I am just starting out with a 520 CS. I have banked with WF since 2005. 7-yrs is a long time to wait. I have 4 derogatories that should fall off in 3 months. Maybe I should wait. Got approved for Discover Secured and Open Sky. Congratulations to you.

I honestly don't regret getting my secured card with WF. I started off kinda where you are now when I got my very first credit card, which was the secured one. My dad was the one telling me to go with Wells Fargo (long before I found this forum) so I trusted his advice. I initially put $300 as the limit and eventually bumped it up to $1,200. It was as easy as calling them and they just moved the money from my checking to my secured card limit.

They didn't unsecure my card until late last year and I opened the card in March 2017. I still had some baddies on my reports when it became unsecured, but I think it was just the medical collection for $80. I think the reason they took so long is because I had a very high balance for the majority of the time that I had the card. It wasn't until I brought the balance down and kept it down that they sent me my letter saying they were going to unsecure it.

If you're in need of a third card, I would honestly just wait until the rest of your baddies fall off. I know it's hard to be patient, but I think it'll be worth the wait. You'll have better starting limits and a better chance at some better cards. Just make sure to keep your balances low.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 11 of 18
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Thanks. I am going to take your advice. I only have 3-4 months and they should fall off. This forum is the best. I just signed up, but I have been reading for a while. I don’t plan on over using these cards. I have one $20 bill for one and an $8 bill for the other. Hoping to get the Disco Card unsecured.

Thanks again. I am happy for you getting WF unsecured.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 12 of 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

OP, I think you get the award for the longest graduation time, have never heard of a longer period. Grats on finally getting it.
Message 13 of 18
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

LOL only Wells Fargo (I call them Wells Fees) would make you wait 7 years and obtain a credit score over 800 before upgrading a secured card. Hahahahahahaha

Message 14 of 18
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

My Cap1 still hasn’t unsecured and that’s been about the same period of time. I will make a call this month and it will probably end up in the trash.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 18
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Rebuild2019 wrote:
Thanks. I am going to take your advice. I only have 3-4 months and they should fall off. This forum is the best. I just signed up, but I have been reading for a while. I don’t plan on over using these cards. I have one $20 bill for one and an $8 bill for the other. Hoping to get the Disco Card unsecured.

Thanks again. I am happy for you getting WF unsecured.

This forum was a godsend for me. I'm pretty sure I'd still be stuck in the 600's if I hadn't found it. I was able to go from 500's to 700's in 6 months, and if I keep making smart choices, I can be in the 800's in no time! 

I love my Disco card, so definitely try the pre-approval link once all your baddies fall off. I still had some on my reports when I got my Disco, but I know it'll grow with time. I started low and it's only up to $3,000, but I'm sure it'll go higher. My fiance on the other hand... He got approved for a high limit and is already up to $12,000! Funny because my scores are way better than his! He just doesn't have as much new credit as I do.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 16 of 18
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Disco gave me an unsecured card. Waiting now. Should be here any day. That’s my chance. Hopefully I can do as well as you have.

Thanks for responding.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 17 of 18
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Typical....Initial Credit Limit $1000.  Thats laughable considering I have 3 cards over $25,000 CL.  

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.