Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured loan VS Unsecured question

tag
rchvmz
Frequent Contributor

Secured loan VS Unsecured question

Chapter 13 fully discharged 12/21---several CC with oldest line-13 months. None are secured, one is with Cap1--4k limit. Total available credit 17k---Utilization is 4%-- I have a share secured installment with Penfed---600.00 which I have paid down to just under 8.5 % balance. No payment is due till August. 

Question--would it behoove me to pay that off and get a unsecured Installment for say 1000, pay the balance down to under the 9% or does a secured loan have the same effect, score wise, as a unsecured loan would?..........current Fico scores   EQ 703    TU 662   EX 680 

I have locked all my CRA's and am commited to the garden, unless getting a small, unsecured Installment would help?      Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Secured loan VS Unsecured question

Secured or unsecured doesn't matter. As long as it's an installment loan, the requirement will be fulfilled.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 6
Who_wuda_thought
Frequent Contributor

@OmarGB9 

What about when manual UW is involved in making loan evaluation/decision?  Score itself isn't all that is reviewed/considered.  Even with algorithm based decisions, can it really be said there is no difference if installment loans or LOC's are secured or unsecured?

ETA - I do see OP asked re: score effect...my question is one I personally have, as I have been evaluating obtaining either an unsecured or secured loan to fill in absence of installment loan history on my CBR's.

Scores as of April 4, 2024:

Message 3 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Who_wuda_thought wrote:

@OmarGB9 

What about when manual UW is involved in making loan evaluation/decision?  Score itself isn't all that is reviewed/considered.  Even with algorithm based decisions, can it really be said there is no difference if installment loans or LOC's are secured or unsecured?

ETA - I do see OP asked re: score effect...my question is one I personally have, as I have been evaluating obtaining either an unsecured or secured loan to fill in absence of installment loan history on my CBR's.

Same effect. Plus you save a HP with a SSL. Your still borrowing ,omey either way.

Message 4 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Who_wuda_thought wrote:

@OmarGB9 

ETA - I do see OP asked re: score effect...my question is one I personally have, as I have been evaluating obtaining either an unsecured or secured loan to fill in absence of installment loan history on my CBR's

While I can't speak for banks themselves, I still don't see how UW would view secured or unsecured loans differently. I have had both secured and unsecured loans on my reports throughout the years, and the only reason I've been denied credit in the past is due to some charge offs/collections I used to have. But they never said anything about having or not having secured loans/unsecured loans. UW I imagine would just care to know whether you have/had installment loans on your reports, and whether they were paid satisfactorily. I don't understand why it matters whether they're secured or not.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 6
jrwa81
Regular Contributor

As far a credit reporting, there is absolutely no difference between a secured and a unsecured loan.  I have had both and they report the exact same way.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.