cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seek Advice for Dealing with CA .Should I refuse to give out my birthdate and last 4 ?

icloud987
New Contributor

Seek Advice for Dealing with CA .Should I refuse to give out my birthdate and last 4 ?

I have been dealing with CA collecting for American Express and Northstar collecting for Barclay in the past few days. When I called them and asked about the settlement offer, they asked for my birthdate and last 4 of SSN. Even after I provide them the reference number on the debt collection letter they sent me, I gave them to proceed, and I settled the one with American Express CA. I dont know their relationships, CA told me they are "American express digital " American express told me it isn't their in-house collection but collects payments for American express.
Now I am really worried about doing something bad with my birthdate and last 4 SSN . My credit is at low 500s.
Is there something I can do to eliminate the risk after I made this mistake ?

From now on,in the future ,if I reach out to a CA to settle debt , can I refuse to provide my birthdate and last 4 ,and just tell my name ?Would that be enough for them to locate the debt info in their system?
Thanks a lot .

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tnhomestead
Contributor

Re: Seek Advice for Dealing with CA .Should I refuse to give out my birthdate and last 4 ?

If American Express says they are the ca for them, why are you worried? They already have all your information even without you confirming it. If it's just a different name, well they could have any name at all. So don't worry, you should be just fine.

Message 2 of 3
icloud987
New Contributor

Re: Seek Advice for Dealing with CA .Should I refuse to give out my birthdate and last 4 ?

Thank you for providing this big comfort to me .But I also gave out these personal info to northstar who later told me they dont have barclay debt anymore , barclay took it back .Should I be worried about that ?

More importanly ,I still have a few more banks and CA to settle , would I be able to settle with them if I refuse to give out birthdate and last 4? Can they still look up my debt info/account without that?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.