cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent PFD, received "verification" ... now what??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sent PFD, received "verification" ... now what??

I sent (by FAX, and instructed them to reply by fax) a PFD (the stock PFD here, tailored a bit, of course) to a CA for a medical collections. They sent me back by mail a bill detailing all the procedures done. Not a single word responding to the PFD I offered.

What do I do now? Are they in any violation for responding to me by mail? By sending me a copy of the bill with several medical procedures documented?? Do I just keep sending PFDs to them???

I should probably mention that the CA in question is a law firm ... I don't know if that means anything, but thought I'd mention it!!

TIA for any advice, opinions, feedback, etc!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sent PFD, received "verification" ... now what??

I changed my PFDs because of one word in the first sentence: DISPUTE. Maybe the CA saw that and read it as a DV instead.

The CA is not in violation. They are probably responding to what they though was a DV. However, they may have violated HIPAA. I don't know enough about it, but do know that a 3rd party can not see or resend info detailing your personal medical info. They can respond with codes, but not details.

If you agree with the balance and don't want to pursue HIPAA, then keep sending the PFDs and maybe send to the higher-ups of the CA (law firm). Kindly and strongly encourage them to accept the PFD due to violating medical privacy per HIPAA.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:
I changed my PFDs because of one word in the first sentence: DISPUTE. Maybe the CA saw that and read it as a DV instead.

The CA is not in violation. They are probably responding to what they though was a DV. However, they may have violated HIPAA. I don't know enough about it, but do know that a 3rd party can not see or resend info detailing your personal medical info. They can respond with codes, but not details.

If you agree with the balance and don't want to pursue HIPAA, then keep sending the PFDs and maybe send to the higher-ups of the CA (law firm). Kindly and strongly encourage them to accept the PFD due to violating medical privacy per HIPAA.

Well, yuck. I was hoping to have them by the short and curlies!! Smiley Mad

I thought that if they were told to only contact via a specific method, they could only respond via that specific method??? Or is that considered more of a request than a demand??

*sigh* Not the answers that I wanted, but then, how often do you get the answers you wanted when it comes to credit repair, right?! Thank you, Ilecs!!! Smiley Happy

I'll pull hubby's scores again later this month (when other accounts update) and see if this law firm has done a pull on us (as I think they usually do when you contact them??) ... we're not out of SoL with this debt yet, so I'll keep sending PFDs in the hopes that they'll cut us a break!!

We can pay this off with no problem, I'd just really rather do it on our terms (PFD) than theirs!!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonderin wrote:
I sent (by FAX, and instructed them to reply by fax) a PFD (the stock PFD here, tailored a bit, of course) to a CA for a medical collections. They sent me back by mail a bill detailing all the procedures done. Not a single word responding to the PFD I offered.

What do I do now? Are they in any violation for responding to me by mail? By sending me a copy of the bill with several medical procedures documented?? Do I just keep sending PFDs to them???

I should probably mention that the CA in question is a law firm ... I don't know if that means anything, but thought I'd mention it!!

TIA for any advice, opinions, feedback, etc!!

I asked Why Chat about a CA sending copies of my medical records, complete with procedures. I asked him if it violated HIPAA and his response was not what I wanted to hear-

"No, it is NOT a HIPAA violation. You signed a HIPAA release allowing your health care provider to provide neccessary data to collection agents for "business purposes". "

I agree with llecs, they probably misunderstood it as a DV. You may have to fax them another one with different wording.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.