cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent a Method of Verification Letter to Transunion

tag

Sent a Method of Verification Letter to Transunion

Hello all - long time listener, first time caller.  I recently sent a MOV letter to Transunion regarding federal student loans with inaccurate late payments.  This is my third time disputing these with Transunion - I was able to get 11 out of the 16 late payments removed on the first attempt but nothing else has been removed since then.  I decided to send them a MOV because I believe they are not forwarding all of the supporting documentation that I provided them to the creditor.  Furthermore, I am under the assumption that they are using the electronic e-Oscar process as a means of "verifying" this dispute instead of actually reaching out to the creditor and forwarding the 10+ pages of supporting documentation that I have.

In the MOV letter I sent I asked for several things including:

-Providing me with the addresses and phone numbers of FedLoan Servicing (the provider in question) which is required by law

-Providing me with the names of the Transunion employee(s) who reached out to FedLoan Servicing

-Providing me with the supporting documentation that they did or did not provide to the creditor

-Whether or not they used the automated e-Oscar process to "verify" this dispute

Transunion sent me a template letter today stating that they reach out to the creditor (either by mail, phone or electronically) to handle their disputes.  They did not provide me with any addresses, phone numbers, or employee names.  There was nothing in their letter regarding what specific documentation they sent to the creditor (only that they do forward supporting documentation) and they did not clarify whether or not they used e-Oscar. Furthermore it looks like they launched another dispute investigation which I specifically asked them NOT to do in the MOV letter.  Do I have the ammunition to file a CFPB complaint against TransUnion in this case?  

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Sent a Method of Verification Letter to Transunion

Welcome @SlowAndSteady07 

I'll ping @Anonymous  our in house SL expert. But anything sent to the CRA's is from the furnisher of the information. Not always from the CRA in itself. If you were actually late thats one thing. If its incorrect. Then the OC needs to fix whats reported. But with SL's they are in their own ball park. I'll leave it up to Sabii. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 18

It was an inaccurate late payment and they have already removed 11 of the 90 day late payments.  That is what is driving me insane.  I sent them 10+ pages of supporting documentation and they won't delete the rest of the late payments.  Dealing with FedLoan is a pain in and of itself so I bypassed them and went directly to the credit agencies.  I truly feel that Transunion is ignoring my supporting documentation and just using e-Oscar to "verify" the inaccuracies with FedLoan.  

Message 3 of 18
wa3more
Established Contributor

You might have better luck with creditor or CFPB complaint. MOV letters to bureaus usually don't work. 

I sent ITS letter to bureau, that did trick. I sent to their internal counsel 

Message 4 of 18

@wa3more wrote:

You might have better luck with creditor or CFPB complaint. MOV letters to bureaus usually don't work. 

I sent ITS letter to bureau, that did trick. I sent to their internal counsel 

Can you explain what an ITS letter is and how that helped your situation? 

Message 5 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If you've done direct dispute with FedLoans, followed by dispute with CRA, and you do not believe reasonable investigation occurred, that is grounds for filing CFPB complaints 

You will need to do make two, one against FedLoans and one against CRA, both for failure to perform reasonable investigation 

You will need to upload supporting  documentation and specifically state that's what you used with both to show incorrect reporting is in place currently.

Message 6 of 18
wa3more
Established Contributor

ITS is a letter, Intent to File Suit. I'll attach a copy of a complaint I said I would file for federal violations. It's easier for them to just fix credit report and make me go away. Most times it works. Sometimes no. 

Message 7 of 18

@wa3more wrote:

ITS is a letter, Intent to File Suit. I'll attach a copy of a complaint I said I would file for federal violations. It's easier for them to just fix credit report and make me go away. Most times it works. Sometimes no. 

Interesting.  Any examples that you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 8 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Why would anyone pretend like they are going to bring a lawsuit and get their bluff called, when there is a process set up for these situations?

Then again, free will if you feel like doing it the very hard way 

Message 9 of 18
wa3more
Established Contributor

What's the process ? I haven't found one that works. 

A lawsuit is my right if they violate federal law. I don't bluff. Nothing ever worked for me in this situation. 

Also, this was real easy way for me. No letters to CFPB and so on.  

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.