cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent an E-mail to Sallie Mae's CEO, got a call back!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sent an E-mail to Sallie Mae's CEO, got a call back!

This is awesome news...gives me hope too!! I was in school and thought mine were still in forebarance as well. So I sent a letter to the Office of the COnsumer Advocate to have them look at my account. I received a voicemail from them on friday stating that they were reviewing my information. Im trying to get a Mtg as well...so I really hope I have as great of luck as you!!

Message 11 of 53
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

May I please have the contact information? I will be coming out of default on my loan next month (yippee!!!!) and would like to have my ducks in a row for my lates, which I assume will be there Smiley Indifferent

thank you!

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 12 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

We can also report success with the SM Customer Advocate, my husband sent a letter explaining the curcumstances that led to 150 days  late payment on his credit report and he was not holding out too much hope but I insisted on sending this letter - we were so releived when he got a call a couple of weeks ago they that hed looked into it and decided to delete all the negative reporting. We just sent a detailed letter addressed to the Office of Customer Advocate with registered mail, we didn't have all the details or supporting documents from the accounts in question, just did out best to describe the situation and the situation was that SM transfered two of his loans to a different department and did not continue his auto-payment which was previously set up for all loans, so this one got messed up in the process, he didn't realize the loan was not on auto payment for a long time, he called them a few times and their computer system didn't show anything wrong...long story short, they found it to be their fault and will now remove the negative info. I just wonder how long it will take for this to reflect on the credit report? The phone call confirming the good news came about 2 weeks ago - when shall we check his report to see if it has been updated? Thanks a lot and good luck to everyone trying to sort things out.

Message 13 of 53
esme
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We can also report success with the SM Customer Advocate, my husband sent a letter explaining the curcumstances that led to 150 days  late payment on his credit report and he was not holding out too much hope but I insisted on sending this letter - we were so releived when he got a call a couple of weeks ago they that hed looked into it and decided to delete all the negative reporting. We just sent a detailed letter addressed to the Office of Customer Advocate with registered mail, we didn't have all the details or supporting documents from the accounts in question, just did out best to describe the situation and the situation was that SM transfered two of his loans to a different department and did not continue his auto-payment which was previously set up for all loans, so this one got messed up in the process, he didn't realize the loan was not on auto payment for a long time, he called them a few times and their computer system didn't show anything wrong...long story short, they found it to be their fault and will now remove the negative info. I just wonder how long it will take for this to reflect on the credit report? The phone call confirming the good news came about 2 weeks ago - when shall we check his report to see if it has been updated? Thanks a lot and good luck to everyone trying to sort things out.

My CSR told me that SM reports every month around the 1st or 2nd. They approved two sets of deletions for me at different times. The first set was reported on the 2nd of this month (February) and I saw it reflected on my credit reports the same week. My second set of deletions were approved on the 1st on Feb, so she said it just missed the cut off for inclusion on this month's report, but that I should see it early next month. I am SO excited to have the 120 and 150 day lates removed from my reports and see how much a positive impact it will have on my scores!

Congrats to you! It's amazing how a few letters and phone calls can make a difference between getting baddies deleted and having to wait 7.5 years for them to fall of on their own!

Starting Scores: EQ 582 TU 584 EX 615 (FICO - Lender Pulled) 1/4/2012
Current Scores:EQ 632 TU 698 EX 669 (Lender Pulled) 3/17/2012
Goal Scores:700 club here we come!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 53
MissMia75
Frequent Contributor

@esme wrote:

I am overwhelmed by shock and happiness right now. I got a call today from the representative at SM's Customer Advocate department, and she said that they've approved my request to have the 90, 120, 150-day lates removed from my account!!!!!!

I will say that if you have baddies with SM, the only way that they will remove late payment information is if during their investigation they conclude that it was some error on their part. I asked her what she found in researching my account that led her to believe there was a service error on their part. She stated that she saw that I had set up the auto-debit feature for my account, while one of my loans was still in forebearance status. When the forbearance period ended, the auto-debit that I had setup did not get applied to the second loan. So, basically, Sallie Mae is assuming responsibility for it! She said that it also helped that both of my loans are currently set up for automatic payments and have been for some time now (over a year). Smiley Very Happy

This was definitely a tough one, but I really felt like the CSR was really trying to help me. It was a more positive experience than some of the other ones I've been through.

I'm so happy! These were lates as recent as Mar - Nov 2010, PLUS they're federal student loans, so that has DEFINITELY been hurting my score. I still have lates from 2008 that I am working with her on, because I explained to her that I was in school during that time (less than half time) - I didn't qualify for a loan deferment, but I honestly thought that I had requested a forbearance for both loans, when it was only processed for one. She was not going to research that one, but after about 30 minutes of explaining to her VERY POLITELY that it just doesn't make sense for me to apply for a forbearance due to financial hardship on one loan, and then not the other. Right? Right. So, finally she gave in and said that she would look into the 2008 files some more and see if there would be anything that she could use to present it in a way that it was another error on SM's part. I'm hopeful, but I won't get my hopes up too much. For now I am soaking up my first HUGE success and now it's just an intense urge to find out how much my FICO scores soar when the 2010 lates are removed. WOOHOO!!!!!

I am so happy for you right now!  This almost brought me to tears.  Great job for not giving up at the first sign of a customer service rep telling you NO.

Starting Score: 06/2011 505 EX 523 Lender Pulled
Current Score: 08/2011 628 EX 575 Lender Pulled
11/14/2011 TU 584

Goal Score: 700

***Closed on my home 05/18/2012***

Message 15 of 53
esme
Regular Contributor

@MissMia75 wrote:

@esme wrote:

I am overwhelmed by shock and happiness right now. I got a call today from the representative at SM's Customer Advocate department, and she said that they've approved my request to have the 90, 120, 150-day lates removed from my account!!!!!!

I will say that if you have baddies with SM, the only way that they will remove late payment information is if during their investigation they conclude that it was some error on their part. I asked her what she found in researching my account that led her to believe there was a service error on their part. She stated that she saw that I had set up the auto-debit feature for my account, while one of my loans was still in forebearance status. When the forbearance period ended, the auto-debit that I had setup did not get applied to the second loan. So, basically, Sallie Mae is assuming responsibility for it! She said that it also helped that both of my loans are currently set up for automatic payments and have been for some time now (over a year). Smiley Very Happy

This was definitely a tough one, but I really felt like the CSR was really trying to help me. It was a more positive experience than some of the other ones I've been through.

I'm so happy! These were lates as recent as Mar - Nov 2010, PLUS they're federal student loans, so that has DEFINITELY been hurting my score. I still have lates from 2008 that I am working with her on, because I explained to her that I was in school during that time (less than half time) - I didn't qualify for a loan deferment, but I honestly thought that I had requested a forbearance for both loans, when it was only processed for one. She was not going to research that one, but after about 30 minutes of explaining to her VERY POLITELY that it just doesn't make sense for me to apply for a forbearance due to financial hardship on one loan, and then not the other. Right? Right. So, finally she gave in and said that she would look into the 2008 files some more and see if there would be anything that she could use to present it in a way that it was another error on SM's part. I'm hopeful, but I won't get my hopes up too much. For now I am soaking up my first HUGE success and now it's just an intense urge to find out how much my FICO scores soar when the 2010 lates are removed. WOOHOO!!!!!

I am so happy for you right now!  This almost brought me to tears.  Great job for not giving up at the first sign of a customer service rep telling you NO.

Thank you!!! YES - the moral of the story is to definitely KEEP TRYING! I'm not sure if I formally updated everyone, but a few weeks later, she confirmed that they approved my request to delete the lates from 2008 as well!!!! If I hadn't pressed the issue, they would still be there! Woohoo!

Starting Scores: EQ 582 TU 584 EX 615 (FICO - Lender Pulled) 1/4/2012
Current Scores:EQ 632 TU 698 EX 669 (Lender Pulled) 3/17/2012
Goal Scores:700 club here we come!

Message 16 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for this info, so I guess if he got the call on Feb 9 that would mean that it will update at the beginning of March - that's not so bad, certainly not as bad as having to wait for another 6 yearsSmiley Happy I hope his score will improve significantly now, he has one more 30-day late from 2009 with another bank (Provident Credit Union), which we will also try to have removed as it was an error ( that's another story), but I hope the 30-days late won't hurt the score so much anyway and I don't have the same fear in y heart as I did for the big one  that was 150-days with SM. I hope soon we will be able to qualify for a mortgage too and this is such a relief for both of us. Yes, the Office of Customer Advocate are really helpful guys and if there is a case to argue, they will try to help you. Congrats to you too!!! It's really amazing, I'm very happy for youSmiley Happy I am also anxiusly awaiting to see how the score will improve now so that our dream of getting a home can finally get more realSmiley Happy

Message 17 of 53
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Great posting thanks. I will try the calm approach now.

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 18 of 53
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

This is definitely encouraging! 

If you could please PM me with the contact information that you used, that would be extremely helpful. 

Thank you and congrats!

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 19 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MontegoMack wrote:

This is definitely encouraging! 

If you could please PM me with the contact information that you used, that would be extremely helpful. 

Thank you and congrats!

The address we used to send the letter is on the SM website -

https://www1.salliemae.com/about/corp_leadership/management/advocate.htm

Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.