cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent goodwill letter...they didn't delete the 30 day deliquency...they deleted the whole account!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sent goodwill letter...they didn't delete the 30 day deliquency...they deleted the whole account!

I am trying to figure out if this hurt my husbands credit more than help?

We're trying to get approved for a mortgage, but his score is 79 points away from where its needing to be to get what we want.

I tried a goodwill letter to a creditor that just reported 30 days late as of this month. They refused our goodwill letter, giving me the same crap that most creditors give everyone who tries to use a goodwill letter. I paid off the balance because our lender told us to before sending this letter. Instead of deleting the deliquency, they deleted the whole account. The account was an installment account, not revolving, and has been open since 2009.

So my question is, will this drop our score even further, as we cant even afford to lose a point at this rate.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Re: Sent goodwill letter...they didn't delete the 30 day deliquency...they deleted the whole account

@Anonymous wrote:

I am trying to figure out if this hurt my husbands credit more than help?

We're trying to get approved for a mortgage, but his score is 79 points away from where its needing to be to get what we want.

I tried a goodwill letter to a creditor that just reported 30 days late as of this month. They refused our goodwill letter, giving me the same crap that most creditors give everyone who tries to use a goodwill letter. I paid off the balance because our lender told us to before sending this letter. Instead of deleting the deliquency, they deleted the whole account. The account was an installment account, not revolving, and has been open since 2009.

So my question is, will this drop our score even further, as we cant even afford to lose a point at this rate.

Are there other, older accounts on his report, do you know his AAOA? 

Other positive tradelines still reporting?

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 2 of 6
ficochat
New Contributor

Re: Sent goodwill letter...they didn't delete the 30 day deliquency...they deleted the whole account

This happened to my husband and i - they deleted our oldest tradeline - we did initially lose some points but they were VERY quickly regained.  I think your situation will depend on other factors - is this his oldest account?  How many tradelines does he have?  What is his credit mix like - does he have other installment accounts?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well things just got much worse. These dummies decided instead of reporting that they deleted the account, they would report that we havent paid nor sent anything to them to close it out....Luckily for me, I keep every little thing that I get, and that I sent to them. Im in the process of writing a letter and sending it certified mail to the credit bureau itself, since I have tried to work it would with this company. I will send every single document I have, and even the PIF letter they sent me, AND the letter they wrote back replying to my goodwill letter. They reported all of this on the 22nd, which was yesterday. I plan on ripping them a new one, because im pretty dang sure thats illegal, considering I have proof.

as for the installment questions....no, this isnt his only installment loan, and it definetely isnt the one that has been open the longest.

Message 4 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Stay on top of them, also send them another GW.  This time also state that their method of incorrect posting has damaged your CR unfairly.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

To point your pursuit in the right direction, the legal standard for civil liability for incorrect reporting is set forth in FCRA 616 (willful) and 617 (negligent) noncompliance.

Violations shown to have been willful subject the furnisher to both actual and punitive damages plus court/atty fees, while violations that are shown to have been negligent subject them only to actual damages plus court/atty fees.

They will most likely assert honest error in their reporting. It's hard to show that reporting was willfully done with actual knowledge of its inaccuracy.

Easier to show that they should reasonably have known, based on a simple review of their records, that it was inaccurate.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.