cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent method verification, but CRA just initiated another dispute!

tag
cambia46
Contributor

Sent method verification, but CRA just initiated another dispute!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about the CRA initiating a dispute instead of responding to my MOV request?

I have a Portfolio collections that does not belong to me that I have been fighting to get off of my credit report for over a year now.  I didn't recognize the original creditor (CIT BANK) as any account I've had, but to be sure I contacted the original creditor and it turns out that I did have an account with them many moons ago, which was actually a Dell accoun. It was was always in good standing and I paid it off and closed at least 8 years ago.  It was even listed this way on my credit report of several years, but now it's gone.  So, this can't be the account that they are trying to collect on.  But, just in case it is, I asked if the CIT BANK rep could send me information about my acocunt with them....i.e, open date, closed date, last balance, pay off date, etc., so I could send this info to the CRA.  She said that since it has been closed for so long none of that information is available.  Their systems just shows I had an account open and closed at some point.  Which got me to thinking, even if this was an account that I owed money on, how the hell is Portfolio verifying it with no account history??!!!

So, I requested a MOV from the CRAs and included the fact that the original creditor states that I do not owe them any money, etc.  I even included the lady's name and number.  It hasn't yet been 15 days, but I notice that Trans Union has intiated another dispute,  even though I clearly stated in my letter that this is NOT a dispute request.  i called and this TRANS UNION agent told me that initiating a dispute is their way to verify the information. After going round with him about why this is not what i request, I spoke with a supervisor, who was only pissed me off even more.  I tried to explain to this person (trying not to call him a bad name) that I did not want a new dispute and that I want TRANS UNION to respond to my letter detailing how they verified the accuracy for my last dispute (August 2017). Again, a waste of my time trying to explain the difference in them providing what i have asked and them simply requesting the same crap from the Portfolio. He continued to claim that in order for them to respond to me, they have to intiate a dispute and said that they sent my MOV letter to Portfolio for verification.    I then asked, the million dollar question....how in the hell can Portfolio tell Trans Union what Trans Union's MOV is?!!!  By the end of of the conversation the supervisor told me that hen he told me that that they DO NOT have to respond to my MOV letter because the email that I received notifying me that my last dispute was complete, provides the method of verification.....which it does not. He then offers to cancel the dispute, but says I have to send them a letter requesting cancellation.  Why do I have to cancel a dispute that I did not request?   This call resulted in nothing more than me being pissed off and wishing I could have punched him hold it in any n his neck.  ;-)

I've since veiwed my EQ and EX reports and don't see any evidence of them initating a disupte, so I'll be looking for their letters.  As for Trans Union, I have no clue what else to do.  Any suggestions?   Thanks in advance.  

Cambia

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sent method verification, but CRA just initiated another dispute!

You have two options.

You can send your summary and evidence to the CFPB in the form of a formal complaint, and get their review of your asserted CRA violation of FCRA 611(a)(7) by failing to provide you with a description of the procedure usued to verify the accuracy of your prior dispute.

FCRA 611(a)(7) imposes a 15-day response period.

You can also file a civil action against the CRA for their violation of section 611(a)(7).

Based on your situation, you could also assert willful noncompliance on their part, and thus seek both actual and punitive damages under FCRA 616.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.