Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settlement question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settlement question

Got an settlement in the mail for a charge off that is still on myFICO revolving credit utilization of a debt that was 2906.61$ for the amount of $726.65.

How will this affect my score?

I am paying the collection agency not the credit grantor..

I have until the 20th, how will this affect my credit and will I still owe them?
6 REPLIES 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Settlement question

If you are settling, then no, you won't owe them once you pay that $726.65. However, they will send a 1099-C to the IRS and you will be responsible for paying taxes on it more than likely next year. And paying it off or settling won't help your score much immediately, but in the long run the collection will stop updating monthly and begin to age and you'll gradually see a score increase. Who is the collection agency? If you can get the collection deleted altogether, then you'll see an immediate score increase.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Original Creditor- Citi Bank Best Buy VISA

Collector- Credit Control LLC 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also I would like to add, in the letter it states that paying the $726.65 will make the account "resolved".

Message 4 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Once settled, the balance will update to $0 within 3 months and your utilization and DTI will drop. The account will have the comment "settled for less" which doesn't matter most of the time, but if something goes to manual review, it could influence the decision.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got off the phone with the CA and paid the settlement offer.

They said they don’t report to Credit Bureau but they notify the credit grantor that the debt has been settled... time to wait and see if by my next myFICO report the balance will be updated. 3/7/2020
Message 6 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yea so I re-read it and I had the same CA collecting but on behalf of BoA. Credit Control is a CA, but as they said, they don't report, the OC is the one reporting, meaning they're the ones with the account still. In this case, you're looking at a charge off, not a collection. They just hired a CA to collect on the charged off account. So, that's good news in a way because

1) You don't have two negatives for the same account [charge off AND collection] and
2) You SHOULD see a score increase once it's updated to $0 balance because charged off accounts factor into utilization and are essentially over limit. Thus paying it off/settling should help your score a bit, depending on any other negatives on your report.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.