Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settling charge-offs

tag
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

Settling charge-offs

It's probably been asked plenty of times before but I need to know when I start paying settlements for charge-offs, will my score take a  temporary hit as the collection agencies update the bureaus and the last payment dates change?

3 REPLIES 3
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Re: Settling charge-offs

It depends on if the accounts have been updating every month or have been dormant. If they have been updating as charge offs, and factoring into your utilization, then you might not see a dip. If they have been dormant for a while, and you pay them, they will update to show either 0 balance or paid settled for less. You might see a temporary drop here. But once they are reporting 0, and stop updating every month, your scores can begin to get better. A charge off will still hurt you for the full 7 years. As I've found out here, charge offs and 90 day lates, are right under bankruptcy. So they suppress your score the entire 7 years. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 2 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If the original credior sold it to a CA. There should be a $0 balance reporting. Paying a CA off slowly wont do a thing to your score. If your paying the OC and they do show a balance. As you pay down the debt. It will update as if it was still open and reflect the newest balance until its paid. Once it hits $0 balance. Theremay be a small bump in your score depending on other factors that make up your file. So the question is. Is there a balance showing on the charge off? If not. There wont be any gains paying off a CA.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if a charge off is now reporting $0 balance, it doesn't affect utilization? I have 2 that look that way, but never made it to collections. They also stopped reporting 2 years ago. I assume this means I should just leave sleeping dogs lie, correct?

If true, this helps a lot in my plan.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.