Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settling debt.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settling debt.

I have 2 charged off accounts in my credit report, 1 with portfolio recovery $1700 and one with Bank of America $1600.
My Fico scores are Ex 583, Eq 573, Tu 596. Both accounts were charged off aug 2015.
My financial situation is much better now than when the charge off occurred and I’m trying to find the best way to improve my scores and settle the accounts since it seems like they are what is holding my scores so low.
Question is how would be the best way to settle with PR and if anyone had luck getting a PFD with Bank of America.
I’m also trying to get a mortgage ASAP so any suggestions on how to improve scores would be welcome.
Current open accounts
Capital one- $85 limit $500
Capital one-$650 limit 2500
Auto loan- $379 monthly payment
Student loan- $17 IDR paid ahead currently
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Settling debt.

I believe portfolio will do a PFD if the account is older than 2 years. Usually originally creditors won’t delete for payment though.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe they do and I will prob start with PR first. Should I offer via email or just certified letter, also since it is an old debt do you think 50% is a reasonable offer?
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio will delete regardless of the age of the debt. It’s Midland who has the two-year stipulation. I would offer 35% to start if the debt’s age is beyond the SOL of your state.

Also, pay off that $85 balance on the one card. It’s a minor amount and will help with scoring, both F8 and mortgage scores.

BoA I don’t know about but very few original creditors seem to be willing to PFD. The good thing is they aren’t terribly far away from falling off naturally, and you can use early exclusion to speed that up.
Message 4 of 15
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

For one, getting your current credit cards paid down to where only one has a small balance will help you quite a bit to optimize your score. 35% of your score is credit utilization. The other posters have given good advice on how to settle the collection and the charge-off.

I definitely agree that you should settle with Portfolio first. Get the agreement in writing and make sure it mentions that the acount will be deleted before you agree to pay or schedule any payments. Also, do you see the original account this is associated with and the Prtofolio collection on your credit reports? If so, you might need to dispute the original trade line if it is reporting a balance or another inaccuracy.

As for Bank of America, it is my undertsanding that they do not do pay for delete. I recently settled a lawsuit with them for a charged-off credit card. I asked my lawyer to negotiate for it, but their attorney said they never do it under any circumstance. This is just my experience. For BofA, I would expect that you need at least 40% to settle the account.

Message 5 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

For one, getting your current credit cards paid down to where only one has a small balance will help you quite a bit to optimize your score. 35% of your score is credit utilization. The other posters have given good advice on how to settle the collection and the charge-off.

I definitely agree that you should settle with Portfolio first. Get the agreement in writing and make sure it mentions that the acount will be deleted before you agree to pay or schedule any payments. Also, do you see the original account this is associated with and the Prtofolio collection on your credit reports? If so, you might need to dispute the original trade line if it is reporting a balance or another inaccuracy.

As for Bank of America, it is my undertsanding that they do not do pay for delete. I recently settled a lawsuit with them for a charged-off credit card. I asked my lawyer to negotiate for it, but their attorney said they never do it under any circumstance. This is just my experience. For BofA, I would expect that you need at least 40% to settle the account.

Portfolio will not send a letter with a PFD agreement. They have a contract that they break by deleting collections against CRA's guidlines.

It is listed on how they delete on their website:

"Your account will be considered paid-in-full or paid-in-full for less than the full balance after your final payment is successfully posted. Within approximately 30 days of your final payment successfully posting, we will request the credit reporting agencies delete the PRA tradeline related to your account from your credit bureau report."

Message 6 of 15
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Are you within the statute of limitations on this?  If past SOL, start lower.  If within SOL be very carefull and be ready to defend yourself or pay more in case this get's them riled up.  If you approach them, do it verbally and state that you can likely borrow $X from a family member to settle this...  If within SOL, you do not want them thinking you have a wad of cash that they can go after legally and that you are desperate.  

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the quick replies, you guys seem very knowledgeable!
I believe PRA is past the SOL since all the letters I have received from them state that they cannot sue me on the debt. Should I email them with my offer or do it over the phone ? If that makes a difference the original capital one account is not listed on my credit report so I believe once PRA is settled it should be completely off my report.
Also as I suspected it does not seem to be possible to remove the boA account but would it be helpful to have that collection paid to zero ?

Thank you so much !
Message 8 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I believe PRA is past the SOL since all the letters I have received from them state that they cannot sue me on the debt. Should I email them with my offer or do it over the phone ? If that makes a difference the original capital one account is not listed on my credit report so I believe once PRA is settled it should be completely off my report.
Also as I suspected it does not seem to be possible to remove the boA account but would it be helpful to have that collection paid to zero ?

Thank you so much !

You could email, though over the phone works just fine. I can tell you first-hand that's fine. I've done a few settlements with PRA this way. Yes, once it is settled it's like the account never existed.

Correct, paying it to zero will lower util usage and update the balance to zero, and then it can begin aging.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much !

You could email, though over the phone works just fine. I can tell you first-hand that's fine. I've done a few settlements with PRA this way. Yes, once it is settled it's like the account never existed.

Correct, paying it to zero will lower util usage and update the balance to zero, and then it can begin aging.

Collection accounts aren't part of util. Only if the OC is listing a CO balance. Since @Anonymous  posted Cap1 isnt on their report. Theres no balance to figure into util.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.