Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settling to Remove a Charge-off??

tag
jpd36282
Established Member

Settling to Remove a Charge-off??

I've been trying to read online and on these boards how to negotiate a removal of a charge-off. I've read that companies aren't allowed to remove a charge-off and I've also read you can settle for a lower amount and have the charge off removed. Which is correct? Do companies have legal authority to remove charge-offs completely? Are there ways to remove a charge off entirely that have been successful for others?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Settling to Remove a Charge-off??

Creditors are allowed to do whatever they please with their tradeline as long as they follow the law. The real question is whether they'll remove it after settlement. Even when paid in full, most of the time they won't delete it. That said, you can try to negotiate a PFD, a pay for delete, wherein you can offer to settle or pay in full in exchange for them deleting the CO. If you can get them to agree, make sure you get it in writing (a letter) before paying them anything.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.