Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settling versus PIF versus PFD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settling versus PIF versus PFD

I have one old CC that is a charge off.  I am wondering what the difference in impact on my credit score it would be between the three options I have:

Trying to settle the account (i realize this will be reported as such, but is it better than having a charge off with a balance?)

Paying in Full

Pay for Delete (I've sent PFD letters but gotten no response).

I realize that PFD would be best, but if that option disappears, what would the impact on my credit scores be for the other two options?

thanks for any help offered.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settling versus PIF versus PFD

a paid collection scores EXACTLY THE SAME as an open collection

the option to PFD is always there - it's just up to the CA to decide to accept. the closer it gets to SOL or CRTP terms the easier it gets.

Message 2 of 4
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

I was dealing with a collection company that was willing to settle bu they said that it was against the law for them to delete the info from my credit file. I didnt believe what they were saying since every collection I've ever had in the past would delete from my report without me having to ask. So what I did was contact the OC and told them that if I pay off the account would they delete the file. They assured me they would and sent it in writing. So that may not work with every OC but its worth a try.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am actually dealing with the OC.  That is why I am unsure if settling with the OC is the same as settling with a CA in regards to the impact on my scores.  I am also trying to figure what the impact would be with PIF with this OC.

How did you contact your OC?  I've sent a PFD letter to this OC, but not gotten a response.  I have also tried faxing them a PFD letter, and I have still had no response.  I am wondering if I should call them or not and present a verbal PFD and have them fax me a letter confirming a PFD.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.