Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settling withTarget

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Settling withTarget

Hi, I'm new to the forums but am learning. Has anyone settled with Target National bank? I have a charge off about 2 years old $5700. I have never received a collection note or letter from them. I've just let it sit dealing with other creditors and this is my last one. Has anyone had any experience? Any idea on what I should offer? 
Thanks so much for any advice!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
donkort
Valued Contributor

Re: Settling withTarget

I've read of people who say to "start at 30%"----which is about $1,800 or so.

Also:  I would ask for a "pay for delete" (i.e., from all three bureaus), and to have that in writing, preferably via email. 

If you are not able to get a "pay for delete," it's still better to have a paid collection, whether you "settle," or you pay in full.

I hope you get a good deal out of this, and can start again with a clean slate.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 2 of 16
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the forums but am learning. Has anyone settled with Target National bank? I have a charge off about 2 years old $5700. I have never received a collection note or letter from them. I've just let it sit dealing with other creditors and this is my last one. Has anyone had any experience? Any idea on what I should offer? 

The account I settled with them was 6 years from DoFD. They told me they couldn't do a pay for delete. 

When the account went negative I owed $130, by the time I settled they claimed I owed $5,380 (interest and late fees). I settled for $36.21, and the account was removed 60 day's after payment. 

I felt ridiculous negotiating but the rep was good about it... he told me the computer decides yes or no, he has to enter any amount offered... I started at $10 and went up $1 at a time until $30 then went to $0.50 each time to $35... at which point I decided to see how long it would take to get a negative attitude from the rep and increased my offer by One Cent until the computer said yes.... 5 hours on the phone with a very polite young man to settle the debt. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chiefone4u wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The account I settled with them was 6 years from DoFD. They told me they couldn't do a pay for delete. 

When the account went negative I owed $130, by the time I settled they claimed I owed $5,380 (interest and late fees). I settled for $36.21, and the account was removed 60 day's after payment. 

I felt ridiculous negotiating but the rep was good about it... he told me the computer decides yes or no, he has to enter any amount offered... I started at $10 and went up $1 at a time until $30 then went to $0.50 each time to $35... at which point I decided to see how long it would take to get a negative attitude from the rep and increased my offer by One Cent until the computer said yes.... 5 hours on the phone with a very polite young man to settle the debt. 

Lmao that guy probably hung up after your call and quit his job!

Message 4 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@chiefone4u wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Lmao that guy probably hung up after your call and quit his job!

Or fired for being on 1 call that long and lost $ for Target. Didnt even pay is wages for the 5hrs either Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think I will try to negotiate for the 30%, hopefully it will work. I hope I don't have to in cent increments but it could be worth it! Thanks !!

Message 6 of 16
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Negotiate how you feel comfortable... make sure you've thought about how much you can afford, and how soon you can pay it.

Start at an amount that is affordable as well as a number you feel is reasonable.

Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 7 of 16
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

I have an account with them that's due to fall off this year. Should I try this or just leave it alone? It's 428.00 my limit was 200.00. 

Message 8 of 16
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@gdtobefree wrote:

I have an account with them that's due to fall off this year. Should I try this or just leave it alone? It's 428.00 my limit was 200.00. 

You might get it to fall off sooner YMMV...

Message 9 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@gdtobefree wrote:

@chiefone4u  has the best replies. I would suggest follow his lead. If not, request EE Early Exclusion:

7 year (plus 180 days) mark is the DoFD exclusion date. You can request for EE Early Exclusion on your derogatory / delinquency from:

TransUnion - 6 months early.
Experian - 3 months early.
Equifax - 1 month early. I would not recommend requesting EE. Let derogatory / delinquency fall off naturally.

Call up TransUnion . Front line csr may be able to assist. If not, request to speak with a supervisor to have the delinquency / derogatory removed. You may not see a score improvement until the last late is removed. However, since EE request is a simple process might as well take advantage of it.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.