Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seven Year Old Medical Collection Popped Up On Credit Report This Week - UPDATE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Seven Year Old Medical Collection Popped Up On Credit Report This Week

@yougoglencoco wrote:
Wouldn't May of 2013 mean it would fall off May of 2020?

Sorry I am so upset I can't count.

Message 11 of 14
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Today I found a medical collection on my credit report. It states opened May 2013 and reported April 2019. I do not remember this debt however I was hospitalized 9 months in three hospitals in 2012 after an accident.   It seems odd that I have not heard anything about this collection until now. It will be 7 years next month.  I don't understand why it was reported right before the 7 years by a collection agency and no info was sent to me regarding the debt during the 7 years.

Any suggestions on how to handle this issue? Should I dispute it or contact the collection agency who reported it? What would be the reason to ask that it be removed? Would a debt validation request be appropriate?

Thanks.

If you really want it off now, you can always call TU and ask them for an early exclusion. TU will delete up to 6 months early, EX 3 months, and EQ automatically deletes 1 month early (not much wiggle room with them). If you do call TU, you need to ask to speak with a supervisor. I've tried calling and asking the front line CSR's and they had no idea what I was even talking about. As soon as I spoke to a supervisor, it was deleted the same day! Same thing with EX. Always ask to speak with a supervisor.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Today I found a medical collection on my credit report. It states opened May 2013 and reported April 2019. I do not remember this debt however I was hospitalized 9 months in three hospitals in 2012 after an accident.   It seems odd that I have not heard anything about this collection until now. It will be 7 years next month.  I don't understand why it was reported right before the 7 years by a collection agency and no info was sent to me regarding the debt during the 7 years.

Any suggestions on how to handle this issue? Should I dispute it or contact the collection agency who reported it? What would be the reason to ask that it be removed? Would a debt validation request be appropriate?

Thanks.

If you really want it off now, you can always call TU and ask them for an early exclusion. TU will delete up to 6 months early, EX 3 months, and EQ automatically deletes 1 month early (not much wiggle room with them). If you do call TU, you need to ask to speak with a supervisor. I've tried calling and asking the front line CSR's and they had no idea what I was even talking about. As soon as I spoke to a supervisor, it was deleted the same day! Same thing with EX. Always ask to speak with a supervisor.

I may try this in about six months since I counted the years wrong as a poster pointed out.  I just dont want it on my reports that long. I am now trying to see if the insurance company has any info on any paid or rejected claims from this company for that collection. Thanks for your response.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
When it appears on your report has zero bearing on when it falls off. The only date that matters in that regard is DoFD, date of first delinquency. That’s the date that the Account fell behind and from which it never recovered, and it never changes.

In both your cases, for whatever reason the collectors only applied claims now but they still will fall away on the dates you’ve seen referenced.

Thanks for info.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.