Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shady Collection Acct. Reporting

tag
LoriB2022
Established Member

Shady Collection Acct. Reporting

Hi all,

So I noticed something a little off, and it took me a few months to watch it play out...  Columbia Debt Recovery was reporting on my file, along with Genesis Credit Management for the same debt from March 2017.  Thought that was odd so I dispute both in writing.  30 days later Columbia falls off, and then Genesis updates with a January 2022 as account opened.  Um, no... It's March 2017.  So I dispute again in writing.  Then Genesis disappears and Columbia reappears.  It's the same company!!!!  They keep playing with this back and forth business changing dates, etc.  It's almost like they're doing it on purpose.  

Is there anything I can do about this?  It almost feels like they're taunting me because they know they can't collect on this anymore in the state of FL, but they can report it up to 7yrs.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Shady Collection Acct. Reporting

@LoriB2022 wrote:

Hi all,

So I noticed something a little off, and it took me a few months to watch it play out...  Columbia Debt Recovery was reporting on my file, along with Genesis Credit Management for the same debt from March 2017.  Thought that was odd so I dispute both in writing.  30 days later Columbia falls off, and then Genesis updates with a January 2022 as account opened.  Um, no... It's March 2017.  So I dispute again in writing.  Then Genesis disappears and Columbia reappears.  It's the same company!!!!  They keep playing with this back and forth business changing dates, etc.  It's almost like they're doing it on purpose.  

Is there anything I can do about this?  It almost feels like they're taunting me because they know they can't collect on this anymore in the state of FL, but they can report it up to 7yrs.

Thoughts?

Regardless of which company reports it, it can only remain for the 7 years from DoFD.

If both companies report at the same time you may have legal options for violation of FCRA rules. 

Paying the debt (if you can afford it), you could potentially negotiate a lower amount and pay for delete and be done with it before the 7 year mark. I'm not familiar with either company so I'm not sure if they will delete. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 10
LoriB2022
Established Member

@chiefone4u wrote:

@LoriB2022 wrote:

Hi all,

Thoughts?

Regardless of which company reports it, it can only remain for the 7 years from DoFD.

If both companies report at the same time you may have legal options for violation of FCRA rules. 

Paying the debt (if you can afford it), you could potentially negotiate a lower amount and pay for delete and be done with it before the 7 year mark. I'm not familiar with either company so I'm not sure if they will delete. 

Good point, unfortunately they do not delete even if you pay them.  They won't agree to it. 

Besides, would I want to do business with these people the way they're playing games?!  In the state of FL they can not collect debt on a written agreement after 5yrs.  Though they can report it for up to 7 years.  My theory is that they know this, and are screwing with me.

Message 3 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@LoriB2022 wrote:

@chiefone4u wrote:

@LoriB2022 wrote:

Hi all,

Thoughts?

Good point, unfortunately they do not delete even if you pay them.  They won't agree to it. 

Besides, would I want to do business with these people the way they're playing games?!  In the state of FL they can not collect debt on a written agreement after 5yrs.  Though they can report it for up to 7 years.  My theory is that they know this, and are screwing with me.

"date opened" for CAs isn't DOFD, it's the date that particular agency acquired account for collection, either on behalf of original lender or bought the debt. 

Both should not be reporting at the same time.

They are trying to get your attention, and while it is somewhat sketchy, they can do it because debt remained unpaid for 5 years. 

If you pay it, it stops. You wouldn't be  "doing business" with them, you'd be paying your debt. 

If you do not wish to pay it, you can dispute or file complaints, they will keep updating monthly untill they get tired and sell the debt to another CA, restarting the process untill it's removal time. 

Message 4 of 10
LoriB2022
Established Member

"date opened" for CAs isn't DOFD, it's the date that particular agency acquired account for collection, either on behalf of original lender or bought the debt. 

They are trying to get your attention, and while it is somewhat sketchy, they can do it because debt remained unpaid for 5 years. 

If you pay it, it stops. You wouldn't be  "doing business" with them, you'd be paying your debt. 

If you do not wish to pay it, you can dispute or file complaints, they will keep updating monthly untill they get tired and sell the debt to another CA, restarting the process untill it's removal time. 

I know the difference between the two, but on paper it looks bad.  I even noticed that they report different CAs names on different CRs with different dates.  They're all over the place!!  Funny to watch them do this dance.

I, personally, call it "doing business" with them especially since they want $11k.  This is not MY debt, it belongs to my EX whom they can not find.  I have court documents that say it doesn't belong to me, yet they keep showing up regardless.  

I'm honestly just trying to find a way to get rid of them other than the obvious.  They don't respect anything you do.

Message 5 of 10
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@LoriB2022 wrote:

I know the difference between the two, but on paper it looks bad.  I even noticed that they report different CAs names on different CRs with different dates.  They're all over the place!!  Funny to watch them do this dance.

I, personally, call it "doing business" with them especially since they want $11k.  This is not MY debt, it belongs to my EX whom they can not find.  I have court documents that say it doesn't belong to me, yet they keep showing up regardless.  

I'm honestly just trying to find a way to get rid of them other than the obvious.  They don't respect anything you do.

If you have court documents stating the debt belongs in whole to your ex, that paperwork should be submitted to the CRA's or provided to CFP with your complaint. 

A company is not allowed to report another person's debts to a non-parties CRA's. If a court has determined you are not responsible for the debt, you shouldn't have it reporting. 

If you are/were an authorized user on the account, you can dispute the account and have it removed (not your account -- include court documents).

Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 6 of 10
LoriB2022
Established Member

I've done the whole disputing dance with them and the CRAs, and they all keep going back and forth reporting it some way or another.  The CAs have changed their DBA so many times it's stupid.  My absolute last resort is filing a suit in court.... I'd win hands down, but at what cost?

Message 7 of 10
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@LoriB2022 wrote:

I've done the whole disputing dance with them and the CRAs, and they all keep going back and forth reporting it some way or another.  The CAs have changed their DBA so many times it's stupid.  My absolute last resort is filing a suit in court.... I'd win hands down, but at what cost?

Some attorneys when presented with the right case will take the case on contingency. Nothing out of your pocket up front, but a healthy chunk of your winnings. 

Depending on state laws and the right circumstances you could see a decent chunk of change from a lawsuit; not to mention a court order barring them from selling the debt or ever reporting to your credit file again. 

I haven't researched Florida, nor do I wish to invest the time for myself at the moment. In Idaho, if a collection agency isn't licensed in Idaho with a physical address located inside the state of Idaho with regular posted business hour's and open to the public to take cash payments;  you can sue the collection agency by yourself and have the Attorney General sue on behalf of you and the state. The penalty for the lawsuit you bring on your own is worth $10,000 per offense for you and your attorney to split.

The Attorney General can also file their own which bars the company from ever doing business in Idaho and a $50,000 fine ($5,000 of which goes to the harmed party -- you).

Message 8 of 10
bass_playr
Established Contributor

Something needs to be clarified on this one.

When you say that it is your ex's debt and you have court papers to prove that you're not responisible for it, that's only part of the equation.  Was this a debt that you were on with your ex as a co-debtor?  If so, then court papers do not matter as far as the CA's are concerned.....if you were ever a co-debtor on this one, then the law permits the CA to pursue you to collect it.  If you have court papers stating that your ex is solely responsible, but your name was on the debt as a co-debtor(not as an authorized user only), then the court papers would be helpful if you were to pursue the matter with your ex for repayment of what they caused you to pay since they did not follow the court order.  

This kind of thing happens frequently enough that I felt the clarification was worth mentioning.  If you signed any application, agreement, etc for that account, then you ARE liable for the debt now.  

Message 9 of 10
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

@chiefone4u wrote:

@LoriB2022 wrote:

If you have court documents stating the debt belongs in whole to your ex, that paperwork should be submitted to the CRA's or provided to CFP with your complaint. 

A company is not allowed to report another person's debts to a non-parties CRA's. If a court has determined you are not responsible for the debt, you shouldn't have it reporting. 

If you are/were an authorized user on the account, you can dispute the account and have it removed (not your account -- include court documents).

Not exactly.  Divorce makes this entirely different.  If this account was a joint account and the divorce decree ordered the ex was responsible and to pay it that does not absolve the OP from their debt obligation.  The creditor(s) are not a party to the divorce decree and the family court judge has no power to force the creditor to accept those terms.  This bites a soon to be ex-spouse more times that you care to know.  The other one that gets them is telling the spouse they either have to sell the home or refinance it in their name.  If their credit is so far in the toilet they can't refinance and the sales market isn't good either or the home not maintained the court has no power beyond multiple contempt hearings.  Far too often we hear of a former spouse intentionally stopping payments on credit cards and mortgages deliberately to tank their ex's credit knowing they can't do a thing about it.

Unfortunately if this is an account the OP was legally responsible for prior to the divorce it can be reported on their credit.  The recourse is to pay it and then go after their ex under the terms of the divorce decree but we all know that is sometimes futile and a waste of time and money.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.