Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share Secured Loan

tag
Credit_Master
Regular Contributor

Share Secured Loan

Hi everyone,

I hope that everyone is doing well in their rebuilding process. I just signed up for credit counseling and I need to get a share secured loan from a credit union. I burned NFCU in my BK7 so they are out (sadly). I am looking for recommendations on a SSL that works the same as the one offered by NFCU. I want to apply for the one that is offered by AODFCU as it seems to have the lowest interest rate that I could find (1.00% + savings rate - which is currently .250% = 1.25%). I am unaware if there is a hard pull to be approved for a SSL and have sent them a message to this affect. Any suggestions on another SSL offered by a credit union would be greatly appreciated.

Current Credit Union Membership

AOD (4/2020)

DCU (4/2020)

Andrews (3/2021)

PenFed (9/2021)

Credit_Master

Current Cards

Goal Cards

Total CL $77,100
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Share Secured Loan

PenFed, their SSL works the same as the one from NFCU and there is no pull at all, hard or soft.  That said, there is a soft pull when you become a member.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 23
Credit_Master
Regular Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

PenFed, their SSL works the same as the one from NFCU and there is no pull at all, hard or soft.  That said, there is a soft pull when you become a member.

That is great news. I just joined them to start a relationship in hopes of acquiring some of their credit cards. Opened a regular savings account and plan on adding more to it to get this loan in the near future. As for gaining membership it took almost a month to finally get it opened but I am glad that I am finally in. Thanks for the reply Horseshoez!

Current Cards

Goal Cards

Total CL $77,100
Message 3 of 23
Credit_Master
Regular Contributor

Horseshoez,

I looked on their website and didn't see a way to apply for a SSL. Are you familiar with how to apply?

Current Cards

Goal Cards

Total CL $77,100
Message 4 of 23
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Credit_Master wrote:

Horseshoez,

I looked on their website and didn't see a way to apply for a SSL. Are you familiar with how to apply?

Understood, they do not list an SSL as an option; you need to call an agent and they will set it up for you.  Basically you fund a savings account, let the money "season" for 30 days, and then you can open an SSL for the amount in the account.  It is pretty easy; I think the phone call took no more than 5 minutes.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 23
Credit_Master
Regular Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Credit_Master wrote:

Horseshoez,

Understood, they do not list an SSL as an option; you need to call an agent and they will set it up for you.  Basically you fund a savings account, let the money "season" for 30 days, and then you can open an SSL for the amount in the account.  It is pretty easy; I think the phone call took no more than 5 minutes.

Thank you!

Current Cards

Goal Cards

Total CL $77,100
Message 6 of 23
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

Just a heads up, of that credit counseling service is costing you, this site and the people on it are cheaper, better and probably friendlier. Seriously, read and search here and you can find about anything. Here is a great resource to start https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Your-Guide-to-Credit-Scoring/m-p/718550#U718...

Good luck

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Andrews FCU is open to anyone.

No credit check for share secured loans. Interest rate is tiny. Have one myself. $3,000 with seven year term.  Monthly payment of $39. Great way to put years of excellent credit on your report.

Message 8 of 23
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Why are you with a CCS? And why is a SSL needed for now? The money needed to start a SSL could go to the debts. Finances over FICO we say here. Drop the CCS. Post your stats here and we can help.

Creditor Name/ Credit Line/ Balance.

Message 9 of 23
Credit_Master
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Andrews FCU is open to anyone.

No credit check for share secured loans. Interest rate is tiny. Have one myself. $3,000 with seven year term.  Monthly payment of $39. Great way to put years of excellent credit on your report.

@Anonymous do they extend your payment date if you pay the loan down to 8.9% like some of the other credit unions already mentioned?

Current Cards

Goal Cards

Total CL $77,100
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.