cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocking Amex data point for folks who have been cancelled and seeking reinstatement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shocking Amex data point for folks who have been cancelled and seeking reinstatement

I detail the cancellation and reinstatement of my platinum card in 2015 in another post. I ended up with 2 Amex platinums when reinstated, for some odd reason. I had a couple of returned payments this past year and they cancelled again. I was paid in full and told that my credit report needed to reflect that all my outstanding cc debt was paid. It was but it would take another month to show up before considering reinstatement. I stayed in touch with Amex weekly and would direct them to the rising credit score but I didn't seem to make progress. Since my Experian was showing 750 and 1% utilization as opposed to the 120% last month when Amex cancelled, I decided to just apply again. A hard hit was placed on my report and I was hopeful bc at least someone there would see my new credit score. My app remained in progress for 2 days.
Yesterday 3 things happened:
1. i called and after verifying info with fraud dept, I was approved and they are overnighting the card.
2. I received a denial letter for reinstatement bc of my bad credit score, dated 12/21, but since then it has gone up 150 points, this the approval.
3. I received a reinstatement offer for an Optima card with a 5k limit, which I will not be accepting.

They should've just reopened the old card. They refunded my annual fee on those when they cancelled. If anyone has any questions about this process please feel free to ask.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
babyeyes00
Regular Contributor

Re: Shocking Amex data point for folks who have been cancelled and seeking reinstatement

Thank you for this post. Im having the same issues with AMEX.  They closed my card due to a payment issue.  They sent me an offer to reinstate if I pay the account in full but the offer is for an optima card.  You give me hope.  I plan to pay in full and ask for the reinstatement of my platinum card. 

Starting Score: 555
Current Score: 685
Goal Score: 825

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shocking Amex data point for folks who have been cancelled and seeking reinstatement

AmEx canceled all three of my accounts December 5 because of a “business” charge to my Platinum account that I’ve proven wasn’t done by me due to all of my personal and business accounts being compromised during a break-in while we were out of town.

The first account manager I spoke to seemed nonchalant at first and seems to chastise me for doing something they’d previously told me I couldn’t do. Then I explained to her that we’d been out of the country since before Thanksgiving. We came back on the 5th to our home office nearly destroyed. They sent me to the fraud department who flagged the transactions which were subsequently reversed by PayPal and credited to my AmEx account.

I called the rep back last week and told her I had the police report. She told me to fax it to her, but she would out this week and another person would could help me this week. I spoke to her yesterday, and her attitude was just as nonchalant as the first person. She proceeded to chastise me about the situation, and I stopped her because I wasn’t going through this interrogation again. I told her I needed to speak to a supervisor. She said one would call back within 24-48 hours.

Accounts have never been late and are in good standing. Should I continue this battle or just let them have it their way? I have every bit of proof needing to clear my name. I was thinking I should only continue to communicate with the first person I spoke with.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

This kind of stuff really makes me want to NOT ever have an Amex card.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.