Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping cart trick worked for me!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shopping cart trick worked for me!

Thought I would try the shopping cart trick. Got approved at Victoria Secret for a 250 credit limit. Just for fun, I went to express to see and sure enough... popped right up as well. I declined that one because A. My husband will shoot me and B. I never shop there. Woohoo!! Thanks to this forum for teaching me so many new things Smiley Very Happy

So now.. I have three credit cards- a Fingerhut with a zero balance, never been used 250 cl opened for almost 5 years (don't actually remember ever applying for this- but since the acount is in great standing, open and has been for a long time- I am NOT touching it), a capital on 300 cl open for 2 months now and I use it then pay it down to 10% or lower before the closing date, and now the VS card 250 credit limit- will not carry a balance on it at all (bought something and will pay it right off). Is this good? Do I need more credit or just grow these? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shopping cart trick worked for me!

good job- just do not go into toy limit card hell!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is "toy limit". Is that the fact I have low limit cards? The capital one has a guarantee credit increase after 6 timely payments. At this time- I do not want huge credit limits. I want low limits so I can prove to myself I can behave and if I can't- they get paid off and cut up so there is no more issues. I would rather not have any credit cards at all than to have out of control spending on credit cards. 

I am figuring if in a year I have proven to behave I could apply for a real credit card with a higher limit and keep that one for emergencies. 

Message 3 of 11
Elexismc
Valued Member

I got an express card this afternoon using this method. It's my second card after bk....I plan on using the two I have for a few months and try the capital one pre qualifier again...no clue what my limit is, but I'm thankful for the offer!
Message 4 of 11
RBFool
Contributor

@Elexismc wrote:
I got an express card this afternoon using this method. It's my second card after bk....I plan on using the two I have for a few months and try the capital one pre qualifier again...no clue what my limit is, but I'm thankful for the offer!

To OP: A little thread highjacking... Sorry. Glad it worked for you tho!

To Elexismc: Why wait? Get a second store card or app for another cap 1 or maybe barclays rewards? It would benefit your score to have them all age and all inquries hit closer to each other VS waiting a couple months. Depending on your score anyway. If you planned on waiting say 6 months from now? That's a good idea if your score isn't there.

BK 7 Dismissed: 5/2014 AAoA: 6 years Credit Scores (07-02-2015): My Privacy Matters: TU: 633 EX:658 EQ: 651
How to add pics to Signature

Message 5 of 11
Elexismc
Valued Member

My issue is that I included so many store cards and regular bank cards in my bankruptcy that I'm sort of forced to wait a bit and let the dust settle..to the OP..."toy limit" cards are usually low limit(less than say $300) store only cards
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What is "toy limit". Is that the fact I have low limit cards? The capital one has a guarantee credit increase after 6 timely payments. At this time- I do not want huge credit limits. I want low limits so I can prove to myself I can behave and if I can't- they get paid off and cut up so there is no more issues. I would rather not have any credit cards at all than to have out of control spending on credit cards. 

I am figuring if in a year I have proven to behave I could apply for a real credit card with a higher limit and keep that one for emergencies. 

You're absolutely right, my dear Smiley Happy I promise you that time will come as long as you make on time payments and don't go crazy for 6-12 months. Just remember when you start getting approved for $2000-3000 limits.... although you WILL have access to higher limits... its still NOT your $$$$ and it will need to eventually be paid back. Let's say you use $2000 and max out in 1 month... you'd want to bring that down to at least 10% before it reports again so you'd have to pay at least $900 back within 30 days. I'm sure you know better but some people don't look at it this way and end up maxing out every single card before they know it.

Message 7 of 11
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Myself, I followed a link about rebuilding from bk (though I didn't file, my stuff was falling off in 1.5 years). They claimed for underwriting purposes, store cards not as good as regular cards (charge cards score lower on fico than credit cards, and store cards are considered charge cards).

Just an FYI, DON'T apply for more/any store crds. While rapidly approved on this rebuilding thread, will NOT help you in getting major credit card (read the credit card threads).

Biggest no no's over there, the shopping cart trick. Not only toy limit forever, still get denied major cards due to want to see 6 to 12 month history with another BANK card (hence my secured bank card, will unsecure after Oct. 29th, when my report meets underwriting guidelines).
Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, what is the shopping cart trick?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, what is the shopping cart trick?

If you do a search on this forum you will find many threads answering this exact questions. It is a way to get store cards with only a soft pull/inquiry.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.