Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I DV or PFD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I DV or PFD

I have a collection on my account from SELECT PORTFOLIO SVCG for an account I had with Sprint. It is barely going to be a year old. I only recall receiving one letter back in April of this year. My question is should i try DV or go straight to PFD?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I DV or PFD

Lots of great stories on Sprint collections here -- just type "Sprint" into the searchbar to see.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So i havent finished reading all. But in what I am reading, i should contact sprint to settle with them?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep.  Contact Sprint, ask them to recall the collection, then pay them directly.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if I am not able to PIF? Thank you

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They may offer you payment arrangements, it's impossible to say.

The thing is, in most cases if you have derogatory information on your CRs and you want it off, you best be able to negotiate up to PIF if necessary.  If you can't PIF, cut your current spending.  Eat ramen and sardines, cancel cable and internet at home, sell your fancy smartphone and get a flip phone.  Then sock cash away to attack derogatories.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

First, and foremost, a DV request must be sent within 30 days after receipt of their collection ("dunning") notice to be timely.

An untimely DV can be ignored.

If timely, a DV imposes an automatice cease collection bar on the debt collector, which precludes them from any further collection activities until they have first sent the requested validation.

There is no required period under the FDCPA in which the debt collector must send validation.  They can choose to remain under the cease collection bar indefinately.

If you wish to negotiate terms for payment, such as a settlement for less or a PFD, then a timely DV will preclude the debt collector from such collection activities.  If the debt is legit and you wish to send a PFD, then a DV may not be the best step.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.