Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I PFD- "OLD" Collections

tag
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I PFD- "OLD" Collections

You are most welcome.  So glad to hear that things are looking up!

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@notyou wrote:

yep! Those are the only derogatories! They total About 7k and I just didn't want to take 7k out of savings for like a 10 point gain. I'd rather have the cash cushion but if it's a chance for a substantial gain. I'll be ok with a thinner cushion for the score bump! Smiley Happy

thanks for the feedback!

@HowDoesThisAllWork wrote:

@notyou 

One more thing...

Have you looked at all three of your credit reports (from Equifax, from Experian, and from Transunion) to confirm that you have all of the Collections accounts?

And, have you verified that you do not have any other "derogatory" items (such as a charge-off or a late payment)?

Well one thing we always say around here is finances over FICO. Meaning, saving money will always be more important than worrying about scores. I mentioned above a ballpark of how many points you could *potentially* gain IF AND ONLY IF you get ALL collections removed. And even then, its not guaranteed you'll get that many points. Could be more, could be less, could be none. It's all dependent on your credit report. Everyone's file is different. 

If, however, you can't get all, or even worse, any, of the collections removed even after payment, then you may not see any score bumps whatsoever. 

I'm not telling you all of this to scare or discourage you, but just so you're aware of all of the possible scenarios, and maybe rethink your strategy; especially if you're considering dipping into savings to accomplish this.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 12 of 20
notyou
Valued Member

Yes. For sure. That's the reason they're so old and still sitting there. Because I didn't want to put myself into another pickle not having a cushion left after paying them. Smiley Happy I'll still have a descent cushion after paying them now. And after reading what was said about my file being moved to the "good" pile with no derogatorys then I guess even I'm I'm disappointed with the actual fico bump, my profile will still look a little better. Smiley Happy 

Message 13 of 20
IamWesty12
Frequent Contributor

So guys, to pick your brains a bit more in terms of the suggestions to PFD all of his baddies....when you say as long as there are not any lates.  What if he also had lates on his CR but the lates happened 24 months or longer ago?  I guess what I am trying to figure out is if the collections are dragging down the scores, at one point would lates not factor in for his score time wise?

Starting Score: 461
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 775

Message 14 of 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@IamWesty12 wrote:

So guys, to pick your brains a bit more in terms of the suggestions to PFD all of his baddies....when you say as long as there are not any lates.  What if he also had lates on his CR but the lates happened 24 months or longer ago?  I guess what I am trying to figure out is if the collections are dragging down the scores, at one point would lates not factor in for his score time wise?

Collections are the most damaging. Lates are still damaging, but the severity depends on the late. 30 day lates lose most of their sting after 24 months. 60+ day lates really don't lose their sting until they fall off completely after 7 years.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 15 of 20
IamWesty12
Frequent Contributor

Wow, that makes sense and explains a lot, lol!  Thank you @OmarGB9 !

Message 16 of 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@IamWesty12 wrote:

Wow, that makes sense and explains a lot, lol!  Thank you @OmarGB9 !

No problem @IamWesty12. Smiley Happy

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 17 of 20
IamWesty12
Frequent Contributor

Honestly I wish I could bring your brains into my home to have you carefully look over my 3 CR's.  I swear I think I am making progress but just small gains.  I keep reading it is a marathon and be patient but my gosh, the waiting for time to pass....YIKES!

I have 3 collections on TU all saying estimated month/date of removal Oct 2022, so I am keeping the faith that once these 3 fall off I will see a big boost.  That is why I was asking about the lates and their damage bc once these baddies fall off, the only stuff I have left are 30 day and a few 60 day lates but the last late was 24 months ago and the rest before them.

You are such a value to all of us so thanks again, @OmarGB9 

Message 18 of 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@IamWesty12 wrote:

Honestly I wish I could bring your brains into my home to have you carefully look over my 3 CR's.  I swear I think I am making progress but just small gains.  I keep reading it is a marathon and be patient but my gosh, the waiting for time to pass....YIKES!

I have 3 collections on TU all saying estimated month/date of removal Oct 2022, so I am keeping the faith that once these 3 fall off I will see a big boost.  That is why I was asking about the lates and their damage bc once these baddies fall off, the only stuff I have left are 30 day and a few 60 day lates but the last late was 24 months ago and the rest before them.

You are such a value to all of us so thanks again, @OmarGB9 

Aw thank you. I appreciate your kind words. It's my pleasure to pass along all that I've learned on here to others just starting out on their own rebuilding journey. Smiley Happy

If you wish, you could start your own thread if you want more targeted advice as it relates to your particular situation. This way you get personalized advice and we also avoid hijacking OP's thread. Smiley Wink

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 19 of 20
IamWesty12
Frequent Contributor

Oh my gosh, how selfish of me.  I am sorry @notyou and @OmarGB9 my apologies.

I will slowly make my getaway out the way, NOW Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.