Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I add my mom as an AU?

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I add my mom as an AU?

The DOFD is prior to the collection opening date reported in 2015, quite possibly even back to March of 2015 so this isnt going to be on her reports much longer. If you order a report by mail you will see the DoFD then you can figure out when to request the EE from the CRAs. JCP is issued by Synch too so its no surprise they are balance chasing they dont want to be caught holding the bag on that account too.. When this is off her reports she needs to open up some new cards (at least 2) and preferrably bankcards. DO NOT dispute that collection just leave it alone.

As long as the card(s) you are going to add her to dont have running balances they it should help her out.

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I talked it over with my mom and we've decided to just wait it out at least until March and see if it falls off. If it doesn't we'll talk it over again and decide what to do. 

I have added her to a card with a 9k limit that rarely gets used and never carries a balance so once it gets reported I hope it starts helping her score a bit.

Thank you to everyone who has helped us 

Message 22 of 27
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Good deal.....update later on when the derog falls off.  Also, if she gets a score boost from your adding DM to your card update that too.  Hoping nothing but positive outcome for DM on everything.  Good job and it's wonderful that you look out for her credit. Heart

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 23 of 27
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous Sounds like an excellent plan. Has she considered getting a new card to help boost her scores as well. I am sure with out the collection she would have solid 750 scores or better. I would still wait to see if collection falls off and then request a cli on her JCP Card and then maybe get her to go to her local bank or help her find a card that would best fit her needs. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to update you guys on what's been happening. She gained 51 points according to credit karma on transunion and it says it's because she lowered her jcp card to the next threshold. Equifax says the same thing but only gave her 1 point for it. I think she actually got most of the points because transunion shows she's been added as an AU and it lowered her overall utilization down much much lower, I believe it's in the teens instead on 80+. Being added as an AU isn't showing on Equifax yet.

I know credit karmas score don't really matter but I'm sure it's helping her fico scores too. 

We're still waiting for the collection to drop then she'll try to get a better deal on her car insurance. I'm not sure if she'll try and get another credit card. 

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another update for anyone who may be interested.

A week or so ago the collection dropped from equifax and she gained 60 points and is now 752 according to credit karma. Just today I got an email saying her TransUnion score went up and the collection has dropped there too. Her score went up 58 points and is now 736. Again it's just fako scores from creditkarma but at least the collection has dropped from TransUnion and Equifax and earlier than expected.

Message 26 of 27
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous Congrats to Mom! Is she going to get another card in just her name ? Has she attempted the cli on JCP?

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.