Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close First Premier?

tag
favre_2_free
New Contributor

Should I close First Premier?

A little backround.  About a year ago, I had an awakening!  I couldn't figure out where all my money was going.  Turns out...It was going for late fees and interest on just about every bill I had.  My credit score was horrid, and I had to do something about it.  At the time, I had 2 Capital One cards, the Platinum with a $2000 limit, and a regular with a $600 limit, a Chase Speeway/SuperAmerica card with a $300 limit, a First Premier card with a $600 limit and a closed Credit Union MC with $1000 limit and balance.  All of these cards were within $25 of their limit ALL of the time.  I would stupidly forget dates payments were due, and miss them by a day, and get nabbed $39 plus the over limit fees.....I'm sure more than a few of us have been there.

ANYWHO.....Since January and my budget revival, I've paid off 1 of the capital one cards ($600) and the Chase card.  I've dropped the balance of the Platinum Card to $1100 with an expected payoff in December.  Last month, I applied for an increase on my First Premier, and got the limit up to $750.   My scores have gone from the Mid 500's to what I can figure is the Mid 600's.  Last week, I applied for a Barclays Frontier Airlines card and got approved for a CL of $750, and with that, I am tranferring the balance of my First Premier card to it because it has a 0% APR for 6 months on transfers.

My question is....My annual fee for the First Premier is up, should I cancel the card now?  Try to negotiate getting the annual fee dropped?  Try to negotiate getting the limit raised again?  I'm not really a fan of this card, but it's one of my oldest cards (2002), and I don't want to ding my credit just as I've started to get it under control again.  Thanks!!!

Amex Gold, Capital One VentureOne & Platium Cards, AAA BoA Signature Visa, Barclays Airtran & Frontier Airlines Cards, Paypal MC, Best Buy RewardZone Mastercard and Chase Speedway Mastercard....and I FINALLY Welcome to Discover...thank you and have a great day!!!!
EX: 667 (8/6 Amex App) - EQ 700 - TU 697
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I close First Premier?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.