Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close a card?

tag
jbrown773
Contributor

Should I close a card?

Recently I applied for a cap1 journey and got denied... then I applied for a cap1 secure mastercard and got approved and paid $55 for a deposit, which required at least $49. After that I called cap1 because I didnt receive any type of conformation about the deposit on the card and if its being sent. The lady I talked to said she saw that and the card is being sent out and I received an email saying my Cap1 journey card is being sent out, About a week later I received a Cap1 Journey card and called because it wasn't the secured mastercard, which when I talked to the 1st rep told me that, that was the only card account on file and there isnt a deposit for that card... well after 1 other rep and a supervisor they "randomly" found the other account with the deposit and told me it was being sent out. I told them at 1st that if it wasnt on file that I didnt want it and just my deposit back but I feel like they created the account when I was on the phone after they found my deposit and issued the card. Anyways should I just keep the card or cancel it, which would be better for my credit and how much of an affect would canceling it be? I dont plan on using it but once a month just to mantain a good credit history, any info about secure card from them would be nice.. like does it eventually become unsecure, how often do you get credit limit increase, ect...

Thanks.

Starting Score: EQ FICO 582, TU 614, EX 528 9/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 648, TU 678, EX 663
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Should I close a card?

Welcome to the forums.

I would just keep both for a year then close the secured after that.

Message 2 of 4
jbrown773
Contributor

That is what I was planning on doing, Thanks! 

Starting Score: EQ FICO 582, TU 614, EX 528 9/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 648, TU 678, EX 663
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Welcome to the forums.

I would just keep both for a year then close the secured after that.

+1 correct I would do the same 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.