Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute a $0 balance medical collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I dispute a $0 balance medical collection

I had a medical bill from 2 years ago that was paid and I have documention. They turned it over to a collection agency in July. I paid it to be safe. I then provided the information of where I paid before so they will now refund me. It was only $61 but I see it on my TU report. I will request the collection agency to remove this. If they don't, will it make any difference to my credit score if I dispute it. I don't know how medical collections affect credit scores.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I dispute a $0 balance medical collection

My first reaction would be that your resolution would be via the OC rather than the debt collector.

The error in your credit file would be the referral to collection on a then non-existent debt

If the debt collector obtained a referral from the OC, they are not apt to have documentation regarding the prior payment, and may simply conclude their investigatin based on the fact that you paid them.

I would send a direct dispute to the OC asserting an error in their referral of the account to collection when there was no debt.

Get them to conduct a reasonsble investigation and report back to you that their referral was accurate.

That would be useful should you need to bring civil action to compel them to produce evidence regarding the issue.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Robert. My gut said file a dispute and my brain said why bother when it shows paid with $0 balance. Will it improve my credit score if that is removed?

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It's a reported collection.

The fact that it is reporting a $0 balance does not negate, except if one is possibly looking at a FICO 09 score, the fact of having a reported collection when you paid pror to the collection referral.

I would pursue by filing a dispute and getting it removed.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help Robert! I have my dispute ready to go.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.