Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute it ???

tag
cuti
Regular Contributor

Should I dispute it ???

I'm recently pay off 4 collection account with portfolio recovery , transunion and experian already delete it 3 days ago , only Equifax not delete yet ? I been having hard time with Equifax last few week about dispute , they drove me nut , I don't want to deal with them again, should I wait few more day or just dispute with Equifax again ? I know I should be patient , but I'm really scare of Equifax right now , seem like they love to mess with people... thanks for all the advice guys.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I dispute it ???

You shouldn't have to dispute it.

If you paid Portfolio Recovery, they have a policy in place to delete paid/settled tradelines. It might take a reporting cycle or two, but they should come off by itself.

How much time has passed since these collections were paid? You might just need to be a bit more patient.

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 2 of 10
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Equifax is The Upside Down (reference to the TV show Stranger Things, for anyone unfamiliar). OK, not that bad, but it's usually the weird one, it seems.

I am not familiar with Portfolio Recovery, but normally if you pay a collection, it stays on your report, it just shows a balance of zero and it doesn't keep dinging you anew each month.

Did you dispute it on the other reports? Or, did you ask them for a goodwill deletion? If neither, I'm more confused by it falling off the other two reports than staying on Equifax.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 3 of 10
cuti
Regular Contributor

Debtjoe thanks for reply , I pay it 5 weeks ago , transunion and experian already delete it 3 days ago , only Equifax not delete yet , I don't know why , seem like I'm always having problems with Equifax , they are very hard to deal with lol , because my collection still with Equifax , it make me nervous hihihi , I'll wait another week before I dispute again.
Message 4 of 10
cuti
Regular Contributor

KjinNc it is the new policy for this collection agency , no matter you paid in full or settlement and doesn't matter how old the trade line , they will delete it within 30 day after the payment clear , that why the other 2 bureau already delete it , only Equifax still show collection , if it transunion or experian I'm not even worry a bit , but it Equifax that why I'm panick lol.... because I already have bad experience with this bureau .
Message 5 of 10
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I think that CO may get in trouble with the credit bureaus, but, lucky you for that being the CO involved! I'd go ahead and dispute with Equifax. They will ask the CO for documentation and the CO will not give it. Equifax will then remove it. At least ... that's what is supposed to happen. It might fall off with no action, but, I don't see how disputing it will slow that down or make it less likely.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 6 of 10
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

@cuti wrote:
Debtjoe thanks for reply , I pay it 5 weeks ago , transunion and experian already delete it 3 days ago , only Equifax not delete yet , I don't know why , seem like I'm always having problems with Equifax , they are very hard to deal with lol , because my collection still with Equifax , it make me nervous hihihi , I'll wait another week before I dispute again.

Just as some further reference, I recently paid off a collection with Midland who has a similar policy as Portfolio Recovery. Equifax was the last bureau delete the tradeline

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 7 of 10
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

I would wait because I dealt with portfolio and they stick to their word and they deleted from all three bureaus no disputes necessary and equifax was the last to show it.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just let it ride, it’ll come off. EQ can’t tell a CA “no” when they instruct them to delete. EQ pretty much sucks but they will come off.
Message 9 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No, I would not recommend that you dispute.

Paying a collection requires that the debt collector update the balance to $0.

There is no inaccuracy based on lack of an agreed deletion of the collection, and thus no basis for dispute.

To the contrary, the common credit reporting manual used by the big-4 CRAs clearly states the uniform CRA policy that debt collectors not delete their collection based on payment of the debt.  The CRAs wish to preserve complete credit files, and consider deletion based on payment of the debt to be contrary to the interest of presenting complete credit histories.

A dispute informs the CRA that the debt collector is acting contrary to their credit reporting agreement with the CRA and is reqesting the CRA to investigate the accuracy of accurate reporting and to delete contrary to the own published policy.

Lean on the debt collector to comply with their contract agreement with you to delete.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.