cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute my collection that is supposed to be deleted?

tag
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

Should I dispute my collection that is supposed to be deleted?

Last month I GW'ed the OC for my paid (to the CA) medical collection. They responded almost 2 weeks ago (via online email messaging) that they have asked the CA to delete the collection off of my reports. It has yet to be deleted from my reports.

How long should I give the CA before disputing? Or can I fax a dispute with the CRA's now, using the email from the OC as my documentation?

I know it's only been a couple of weeks; I'm just very antsy waiting for this to finally come off! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I dispute my collection that is supposed to be deleted?

Do it now, why not? I, too, was ansty about waiting for a collection to fall off, so I disputed it, and it was removed pretty promptly. Call the CB's and ask them if you can dispute and then fax them the info.
Message 2 of 12
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Wonderwoman,

I guess you could try to dispute it with the bureaus, but good luck because all that ever happens to me is a "verify".

I had to call the CA myself and have THEM remove the collection. That worked....i think, personally going through the bureaus is a waste of time. the only time it works is when someone doesn't respond and you get lucky...

If i wanted to see results, I'll call the CA, fax them a letter from the OC and ask the CA to remove the TL.

it only takes up to 72 hours for e oscar to update with the credit reporting bureaus. so that's a couple of days...

Disputing is a waste of time.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Message 3 of 12
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

Daisyduke, I love that you spell out my name! It makes me feel more human than my vowel-less username. Smiley Happy

For some reason I would rather not contact the CA if I don't have to...but I'm trying to find out exactly when the OC contacted them, and possibly get a copy of their letter. If I can, I'll use that to dispute; if not, and I don't see a deletion soon, then I probably WILL call them. Verification is not so much of a problem right now since it was just re-verified when I originally started the HIPAA process in early July. The collection already has its status date as July 2009. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 12
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

Still just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how long it might take for the collection to be removd by the CA?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

I understand e oscar takes a maximum of 72 hours to update (A good collection agent told me this, whom I didn't have beef with). But your case might be a little different because the OC has to tell the CA, so dealing with two entities, as opposed to one....so I would let it go for one month. If it is NOT off of your report within one month, start calling...

Disputing with the bureaus, it will come back verified, I bet a dollar to a donut  on that! So save your efforts Wonderwoman. It's a waste of time.

Maybe get a copy of the letter from the OC - then call the CA and fax it to them, follow up with a phone call....

Message 6 of 12
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I dispute my collection that is supposed to be deleted? UPDATED...

@daisyduke wrote:

I understand e oscar takes a maximum of 72 hours to update (A good collection agent told me this, whom I didn't have beef with). But your case might be a little different because the OC has to tell the CA, so dealing with two entities, as opposed to one....so I would let it go for one month. If it is NOT off of your report within one month, start calling...

Disputing with the bureaus, it will come back verified, I bet a dollar to a donut  on that! So save your efforts Wonderwoman. It's a waste of time.

Maybe get a copy of the letter from the OC - then call the CA and fax it to them, follow up with a phone call....

Okay, I have a little bit of an update...yesterday in the mail I received a copy of the email that the OC sent to the CA asking them to delete my collection. It was a very friendly email so I assume the two have a good working relationship.

However, the email was dated over 2 weeks ago, and the collection is still not off. I would think that if it were an email sent to a specific person at the CA, it would not take this long. But I could be wrong! Anyway, since I received a copy of the email...I now have the email address of the CA representative. Smiley Happy But is it appropriate for me to email her asking about the status of this, rather than having to call?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 12
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Hey Wonderwoman,

I guess you could send an email to the CA to gently follow up and hope for a response back...."The squeaky wheel gets the greese" IMHO....or Maybe give it a full thirty days first....it's the CA that will delete the tl...(By the way, I don't think the bureaus are of fond of those kinds of letters etc from CA's stating that they will remove the TL, I have had two letters, one signed, one not signed from CA stating that the TL will be removed, sent to the CRA's and it came back verified, will stay on..one tl from a ca is off because I called the CA myself and asked them to please please please remove, the OC told them to do so, it was for a dentist!! it was a mistake on OC behalf....)

I hope this helps. Just my personal experience that the CRA's do not honor emails, letters signed or not signed that state deletion....i'd love to hear if ANYONE has had deletions by the CRA's with documentation....

I should have five inquirires fall off as the CA wrote me back (via the BBB complaint)  and said he would delete all of them but told me to give it some time...I will wait 30 days for the inks to fall off....if they don't, I will send the CA an email and follow up - give them a week.... then back to the BBB if the dude doesn't follow up on his word. if the CA is a BBB accredited business (if accredited, they MUST respond within thirty days...if not accredited, they can still take your complaint, but not required to respond) and this tradeline doesn't fall off, that would be my next step. Bet you'll have better results complaining to the BBB than working with the CRA's....

Food for thought. Good luck!

Message 8 of 12
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

Okay, how long does it normally take for a collection to be deleted after the OC has requested it from the CA? My OC emailed the CA on August 7th, and the collection is still not off. I'm trying to be patient, but I'm getting really frustrated because it seems that normally they fall off rather quickly. I'm assuming that once it's deleted, I'll see it gone from Experian pretty fast, since they update first.

I'm trying to wait until September 7th (or the 8th I guess because of the holiday) to contact the CA to ask about this. But if it's taking this long should I assume there might be an issue? Or does it really take this long sometimes? Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 12
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Hey Wonderwoman,

I think it varies by CA....I had four Total collections when I started this clean up process. I think almost ALL of them were deleted within days.....except for one problem child - took about three weeks....and I am so sure that they were playing with me....until I filed a complaint with the BBB....then a few days later, the TL was removed.

Do you think they are playing games with you? If you do, complain to the BBB that they didn't hold up their end of the promise...I bet you'll see it removed REALLY fast if you complain. Squeaky wheel gets the greese!! Smiley Happy 

Good luck.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.