Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute or keep waiting?

tag
ORllyNao
Regular Contributor

Should I dispute or keep waiting?

Hi all -

Hoping to get some advice on the best way to handle a small collection ($136) from 2019 that I paid in full a while back, but is still showing as unpaid on TU only. I don't believe it was ever reported on EX or EQ. 

This is one of two collections remaining on my TU report - the other is Midland, which is also paid in full and will drop off any day now. But my worry with this one is that the last date they reported to TU was back on 3/22/2022. Based on that, I have no idea when (or if) they'll update my balance with TU to $0. 

Is this something I should dispute with TU to get the zero balance reflected, or will I do more harm than good by opening a dispute? I do have an email receipt to prove the payment, and since the last update wasn't that long ago, I'm thinking a dispute would be fine, but wanted to get opinions from folks more knowledgeable than me. 

Thanks! 

FICO 8 | March 2023
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I dispute or keep waiting?

first off - i suggest you DONT dispute it

second - most times we see collection cleanup, the Collector will update the amount to $0 first - then clear it off the CRA in another 30-60 days, IF this is a PFD

if you can update with the details below - in date format - then we can help more

(for some people, a Long time ago - is 5 days). so we need to know when you paid it - how many days ago

paid in full a while back,

last update wasn't that long ago,

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 6
ORllyNao
Regular Contributor

@RSX wrote:

first off - i suggest you DONT dispute it

second - most times we see collection cleanup, the Collector will update the amount to $0 first - then clear it off the CRA in another 30-60 days, IF this is a PFD

if you can update with the details below - in date format - then we can help more

(for some people, a Long time ago - is 5 days). so we need to know when you paid it - how many days ago

paid in full a while back,

last update wasn't that long ago,

Ah yes, great point! More details: 

Paid in full mid-July 2022
Last update to TU by CA was 3/22/2022

ETA: This is still showing on TU with the full balance owing, nothing has updated on TU for this collection since 3/22/2022. 

FICO 8 | March 2023
Message 3 of 6
RSX
Valued Contributor

i believe it is normal that the last update was 3/22/2022 - since there wasnt any activity on it until july

so - they are being kind of slow - but July is not that long ago 

i would expect any day they will update it with a Zero balance

i would wait another month or so before making any calls

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 4 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@RSX wrote:

i believe it is normal that the last update was 3/22/2022 - since there wasnt any activity on it until july

so - they are being kind of slow - but July is not that long ago 

i would expect any day they will update it with a Zero balance

i would wait another month or so before making any calls

Agreed.

60 days should suffice, but given slow update times recently with everything, you may have to wait up to 90 days.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Dispute it and get it corrected. Current info is considered within the last 90 days so this has past 90 days since last update. Law requires if they report that they must report correct information. If this was a PFD call the collector and remind them they agreed to delete the collection and it still hasnt been done.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.