Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute this?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I dispute this?

Hello, so I have a hard inquiry that was made from OneMain Financial back in April of 2017. 

I went on there website just to check what they would offer, and they promise the pre offer as, that it won't affect your credit and it's a soft inquiry. So I did that but THEY DID A HARD INQUIRY!

I was upset, and even more upset when they called me explaining the offer they had avaliable to me after the hard pull. 

It only shows up on my Equifax Report out of the 3 bureaus. Even though it's from last year, is there any chance of disputing it? Or would it be worth trying too? 

6 REPLIES 6
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I dispute this?

It is more than a year and does not affect your FICO scores and will drop off your CRs May next year.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh okay, so even though they stay on your report for 2 years they stop affecting your score after 12 months?

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh okay, so even though they stay on your report for 2 years they stop affecting your score after 12 months?

Yup, after 6 months most of the points are regained and after 1 year all that the inquiry cost are regained.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay awesome, I didn't realize that!

Another question if you don't mind me asking. 

I recently purchased a vehicle, and the dealership pulled my credit and sent it over to multiple lenders who also pulled my credit. They did that to see who'd give me the best interest rate, which after about 3 or 4 pulls from different lenders ended up being Ally Financial. 

These pulls were all done in about a 2 or 3 day window. Would these 3 or 4 pulls all count as one, or is each one damaging and could I/should I try do something about it? 

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Shopping around for best rates on auto, mortgage, or student loans is considered under the FICO algorithm as a single pull for scoring purposes if done within a given period, which varies by scoring algorithm version.

However, all are still shown in the consumer's credit report unless they are coded as soft.  There are no regs governing when or how an inquiry can be coded as soft vs hard, and coding as soft is discretionary.

A party who makes an inquiry is required under the FCRA to provide the stated permissible purpose of their request, which is then reflected in a Metro 2 code under the CRA standard procedure.  It  is critical to the "de-duping" of multiple inquiries that they thus are properly coded as one as being for one of those three purposes in order to be scored as a single inquiry.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So how would you verify to make sure there request purpose is accurate?

When looking on my Transunion Report, under request type is just says "Individual".

On my Equifax there is no reason listed. On my Experian though, it shows under Business Type "Auto Financing Companies". 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.