Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I do a debt validation?

tag
kingkai1990
Contributor

Should I do a debt validation?

Okay, so far I've had some success with deletions on my credit report (ironically enough no goodwill luck). 

Right now I have a $2,000 bill that is supposed ot roll off in 2018. Should I do a debt validation/pay for delete on this one or leave it alone? I'm only saying this because I've tried to get some credit and was declined due to collections (the only one addtional one is an $84 collection). Would it be smart to pay it off if I get the money> Thanks! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I do a debt validation?

If you are questioning the validity of the TL, and it is reported by a CA, then you would send a DV to the CA; DV's are not sent to OC's.  If it is being reported by the OC, and it is not reporting correctly, then you would send a Direct Dispute to the OC.  If it is accurate, then you could send a PFD to the OC.  Be mindful of the SOL of your state, because awakening sleeping giant during the SOL, could result in you being sued for the debt.  

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 2 of 7
kingkai1990
Contributor

@tomfromrictmame wrote:

If you are questioning the validity of the TL, and it is reported by a CA, then you would send a DV to the CA; DV's are not sent to OC's.  If it is being reported by the OC, and it is not reporting correctly, then you would send a Direct Dispute to the OC.  If it is accurate, then you could send a PFD to the OC.  Be mindful of the SOL of your state, because awakening sleeping giant during the SOL, could result in you being sued for the debt.  

That is scares me. I'm in Missouri, BTW.  

The problem is that I'm trying ot qualify for student loans. Should I offer pay for delete when I have the money? 

Message 3 of 7
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

I believe MO is 5 years.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 4 of 7
kingkai1990
Contributor

So next year should be my last year. Ugh. So much could go so wrong but so right. If I pay Progressive insurance I'd only have 1  collection left. But it updates every 3 months. Some tough cookies here....

Message 5 of 7
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Do you have the full $2K to PIF?

Message 6 of 7
kingkai1990
Contributor

@tomfromrictmame wrote:

Do you have the full $2K to PIF?

Not currenlty. But should by January. So would I just contact them then?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.