cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I finger the apply button on Fingerhut?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I finger the apply button on Fingerhut?

Soooo, just starting my rebuild and discovered that I have a very cringeworthy fico 8 score of 508 with experian. I've apped for the OpenSky secured ( waiting on them to verify my identity) but I know I will need something else. Should I go for fingerhut or wait a few months to show use on the OpenSky if and when I get it?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I finger the apply button on Fingerhut?

Wait for the Open Sky to report a few months. You may get a score increase without knowing more about your DP's. Then hit up the pre-quals like Cap1 and Disco. If Disco gives you a secured. Go for it. It will graduate. Cap1 has put the brakes on graduating secured cards lately.  Take it slow and it will work out. Use the OS and PIF each month. Then hit em up. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a plan to me. I really wasnt feeling like buying crazy overpriced merch just to build my score a bit!
Message 3 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Wait for the Open Sky to report a few months. You may get a score increase without knowing more about your DP's. Then hit up the pre-quals like Cap1 and Disco. If Disco gives you a secured. Go for it. It will graduate. Cap1 has put the brakes on graduating secured cards lately.  Take it slow and it will work out. Use the OS and PIF each month. Then hit em up. Good Luck!

+1

I must say the title of your post is kinda creepySmiley LOL

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

+1

I must say the title of your post is kinda creepySmiley LOL

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Least middle wasnt there. LOL!!!!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Really OP. You dont need to get a toaster for $150.00 thats worth $25! You'll be fine.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm taking your advice. Which means I am giving them the middle finger, sooooo 😂😂😂
Message 6 of 10
Puppetmaster
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
...I really wasnt feeling like buying crazy overpriced merch just to build my score a bit!

I literally found the lowest priced item they had, which wasn't anything I needed or wanted, and bought it, to establish use of the account.  It will almost certainly be the only purchase I ever make from them.  Of course it was defective, but I didn't care about that, as it was destined for the trash or a donation recipient right from the start.  With shipping and sales tax it was $15, a small price to pay for a few points in my credit scores, which were the real products I was buying.

Personal Credit: | 5/21/2019 - $0 | 4/27/2023 - $160,200 |

Business Credit: | 5/21/2019 - $0 | 12/16/2019 - $70,000+ |
Message 7 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Soooo, just starting my rebuild and discovered that I have a very cringeworthy fico 8 score of 508 with experian. I've apped for the OpenSky secured ( waiting on them to verify my identity) but I know I will need something else. Should I go for fingerhut or wait a few months to show use on the OpenSky if and when I get it?

I might be going against the grain here, but if you don't have any other options, there is nothing wrong with Fingerhut. 

A lot of people had their account at some point. 

While the merchandise may be overprices, it will still be less for a single purchase than deposit for another secured account.

You'd have another positive TL reporting while you wait for bigger and better things. It's still better than predatory cards with AF, monthly fee and no grace period. 

Keep the money you'd use for security deposit on another secured card (you will need more than one account) and keep it in savings. Having some money stashed away for emergencies ensures you can make at least minimum payments should life "happen"

You do whatever you need to do to get the rebuild started. As long as you dont over do it, it will be okay 

Once these starter accounts do their job, close them. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like Fingerhut as part of the "rebulider" strategy - and they give increases.  But I also agree w FireMedic1.

@Anonymous wrote:

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may still do a fingerhut account. Until I get OpenSky sorted out though, I'm not doing anything. I've sent them my docs to verify my info twice, and they are still reviewing. I dont *need* immediate access to the money I deposited with them, but it's weirding me out to have $300 out there that I can't access, if that makes sense.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.