Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I open 1 more?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I open 1 more?

I PFD 13 collections accounts this month!!!

Woo hoo!

So after all that reports (2/3 months) I'm going to try to apply for morgage.

I currently have in good standing:

1 secured Cap 1 $500 credit limit (opened for 12 months in November)

1 Fingerhut $600 credit limit (opened for 7 months in November)

1 $250 credit line from my credit union ( opened for 14 months in November)

1 car loan $19k (opened for 4 month in November)

So the Cap 1 and Fingerhut report as cards, I have 0% utilization on cap 1 and 20% on finger hut.

The $250 credit line seems to report as a loan, currently 10% utilization on that.

So should I open 1 more secured card right now if I'm hoping to do this in November or is it too close and won't matter? ( maybe even hurt?)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I open 1 more?

Not sure,,, will let experts weigh in,but I've always seen here them saying not to apply for anything before apping for mortgage....will be interesting to see what the suggestions are....

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a previously licensed mortgage banker, nmls 367500, it will depend on what kind of mortgage you are applying for. FHA is only 3.5% down with credit as low as 620 sometimes 580 but very rare. Conventional will need 5-15% down depending on credit and usually 640 min. The property will need to be FHA approved as well if you go that route. Tougher on condos townhouses. As a standard guideline, meaning this varies a bit. You will need 3 active headlines. Which It seems you have. Don't really think it's necessary to get more.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you.

I had 3 stuck in my head and I wasn't sure if it was 3 specific account types or just 3 in general.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.