cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay off an $80 but 5 year old delinquincy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad credit question:

My question is, should I pay off the delinquincy

Thanks any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: [Citi] Should I pay off an $80 but 5 year old delinquincy?

Either way, it will still fall off in 2 years. Paying it does not reset the credit reporting exclusion period.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @rmduhon, thank you for the reply. Do I have to request the CRA's to remove it once it's eligible to fall off (~7.5 years after the fact)? Or does this happen automatically?

Also, will the entry "update" if I pay Citi the delinquincy? Will having it update on my Credit reports further ding me or is it already factored in?

Thank you so much Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

It'll fall off automatically. And the CRA's usually delete the accounts at 7 years, although it can stay the entire 7.5 years. You can also call the individual CRA's and ask for an early exclusion (EE) 6 months early for TU, 2-3 months early for EX, and 1-2 months early for EQ, based on 7 years (whenever that may be for this account). You may get a ding for it updating, but it may balance itself out since this would be factored into your UTI. Shouldn't make too much of a difference to the overall UTI, but if this account is showing a credit limit of zero then it's maxed out, and that's a big ding.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re:

Well, here is what it looks like on my TU Credit Report

Message 5 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

It's showing a $0 balance. I would leave it alone if I were you.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll take everyones input and guidance should you have any insights, thank you!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I send a GW letter to the executive office?

Message 8 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Just be prepared that if you send a GW letter your credit report may go from reporting a 90 day late 5 years ago to a current CO. Personally, it wouldn't be worth the risk to me just to get a card from them now...but that's your decision to make.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If I call customer service at Citi and ask them about it, does that make it update? I'd like to be able to get Citi credit cards in the near future, if at all possible.

I'll take everyones input and guidance should you have any insights, thank you!

Citi is one of those lenders with a long memory.  If you pay off the debt, it might take a long time for them to approve you for anything else.  I'm still waiting to see if they will take me off their blacklist.  Not paying off the debt will definitely keep you from approval. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.