cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I remove myself as authorized user?

tag
biglista88
Regular Contributor

Should I remove myself as authorized user?

Is it time for me to remove myself as an authorized user on the two cards I have in my signature? I just opened my Citi and US bank cards this month. The cards that I’m AU on are nearly maxed out and I feel it’s weighing my scores down. They do help with my AAOA, as they are 8 and 5 years old respectively, never late. But now that I have two revolvers with zero balance, I feel my scores could be better. Any insight is appreciated thanks!
REBUILD STARTED (AGAIN) 9/1/2023

Current Scores 3/3/24

“Breathing new life into a dead credit file”
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
tubbynerd
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I remove myself as authorized user?

i would definitely if usage is over 88%.

I would probably over 50%

I'd likely only keep if usage was less than 28%

Message 2 of 10
biglista88
Regular Contributor

Thanks! I will most like remove myself. The usage is around 86%. But it’s my only current positive revolving account payment history until my 2 new cards begin reporting.

Current Scores 3/3/24

Message 3 of 10
Medic981
Valued Contributor

+1, I agree!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 4 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Drop it. You have 2 great cards to set the foundation of what we all have to do after lightning strikes. It's called Rebuild. Let those cards age and then start looking again in 6 months for the 3rd card which is best for FICO scoring. Once dropped you will have a thin file and some lenders like that and will approve you. Dont go app crazy. Take it slow. As the saying goes. Rome wasnt built overnight,

Message 5 of 10
biglista88
Regular Contributor

Thanks firemedic for the input. I already have my eyes set on the discover secured card in 6 months. All three bureaus are frozen currently, until I’m ready to app for that around April 19. I will only have about 4 inquiries in the last 12 months at that point. Hopefully that isn’t too high in number.

Current Scores 3/3/24

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@biglista88 wrote:
Thanks! I will most like remove myself. The usage is around 86%. But it’s my only current positive revolving account payment history until my 2 new cards begin reporting.

Maybe wait to remove until the new start reporting.

Message 7 of 10
biglista88
Regular Contributor

I’ve decided to keep myself on as an AU on both cards until I’m ready to apply for discover in 6 months. The primary card holder makes about 1k payments monthly to the debts , never late in 8 years. But primarily bc I will be less likely to frivolously apply prematurely for anything while I know my scores are temporarily lowered by the UTL on those cards. So they shall stay until I’m truly ready to app in 6 months.

By the way creditslog, did your new Citi card report yet? I see my statement closing date is 11/14 so I’m assuming mine will report a couple days or so after that.

Current Scores 3/3/24

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@biglista88 wrote:
I’ve decided to keep myself on as an AU on both cards until I’m ready to apply for discover in 6 months. The primary card holder makes about 1k payments monthly to the debts , never late in 8 years. But primarily bc I will be less likely to frivolously apply prematurely for anything while I know my scores are temporarily lowered by the UTL on those cards. So they shall stay until I’m truly ready to app in 6 months.

By the way creditslog, did your new Citi card report yet? I see my statement closing date is 11/14 so I’m assuming mine will report a couple days or so after that.

I’m expecting it to arrive Monday or Tuesday. I really wanted to use it for a nice 50% UTL dental purchase Monday morning, so I’m a little sad. I like to train them with a big initial purchase.

Message 9 of 10
biglista88
Regular Contributor

Darn, sorry to hear that. I’ve been breaking mine in nicely. Just paid my auto insurance with it. As soon as the charge posts I’m gonna PIF. My skypass card has been getting all the love though. I’ve already maxed it and PIF going on two times already 😂. Luckily I can add to my credit limit on that one ( which I plan to do soon).

Current Scores 3/3/24

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.