Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I settle an old debt or wait?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I settle an old debt or wait?

I have one old CC debt with a DLA of May, 2004 and the DLR as Feb. 2005 when it was Charged off and has since been sold off to another Debt Collector in 2008.  Going by the 7 year rule should I attempt to settle this old debt or wait until the time limit is up and it is removed from my report and if so when should that occur? 

Another issue a car loan that I had been late making payments on during 2004.  I was able to pay off the loan early during 2005.  This loan is still showing in my Negative Accounts on my credit reports.  The creditor in spite of my having a new loan with them that I have not only been paying on time but paying extra toward the principal refuses to remove the previous negative information from credit reports.  The current loan was taken out in Jan. 2008.  Is there any way I can get this removed from my reports?

Patlynn

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
terrymurph
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I settle an old debt or wait?

CONTACT THE OC AND SEE IF THE WILL DO A PFD BEFORE YOU OUTRIGHT SETTLE IT. FOR THE OTHER I WOULD TRY A GW LETTER.
Eq WAS 500+ three years ago NOW IM 683 and Trans WAS ALSO 500+ NOW IM SITTING AT 710
700 You better be on the LOOK OUT(OOPS GUESS THEY WEREN'T LOOKING CAUSE I ALREADY MADE IT YAAAAYYYYYYYY)
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I settle an old debt or wait?

It is against the rules of this site to ever counsel against payment of a legit. debt.

All we can advise is the impact if you dont.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.