Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I settle with Collections???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I settle with Collections???

Need to know if settling my medical collections on my CA will have a negative affect??  Also define: DV, SOL and PDF?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I settle with Collections???

Definitely PFD...but DV first...some say not to DV within SOL...PIF...Settled...none of that has a different score impact...only deleting you might see a score increase...although...try to get a PFD response in writing...
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the skinny on paying collections:

First, the status of a collection doesn't matter to FICO. Pay it, settle it, flip 'em the bird and don't pay a dime--your score won't change. If you want to help your score, it has to be REMOVED entirely.

Second, the status does matter somewhat to human beings reviewing your credit report. A paid charge-off does look a little better than settled, which in turn is slightly above open and unpaid. I have also heard anecdotal evidence that some automated reviews look at status in addition to score.

Third, trying to DV or PFD a collection within SOL can result in a lawsuit. Doesn't happen often, but be sure you have the money to PIF before tickling that sleeping dragon.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The responsenses are helpful though i would like to know what the acronyms SOL, DV, PFD and PIF mean?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL - Statue of Limitation

DV - Debt Validation

PFD - Pay for Delete

PIF - Paid in Full

There is a list of commonly used abbreviations at the beginning of the forum.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Kennedyr! 
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

now to PFD does it require to pay total balance or agreed amount?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i dont mean to sound stupid but how do i PFD
Message 8 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

There are PFD examples in here. Search for "PFD example" and you'll probably find one quickly. You can PIF or offer a settlement for less than full. I recommend PIF because it will sweeten the deal for the OC or CA to accept. However, creditors don't have to respond or accept a PFD.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.