cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I try to take care of the debt mysefl? Or hire a Debt Management company?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I try to take care of the debt mysefl? Or hire a Debt Management company?

I got in a bad car accident a month ago and what was treading water with paying credit cards has now fell a month behind and I'm debating on hiring a debt management company to help me out (American Consumer Credit Counseling) or doing it myself. I feel like all ACCC is doing is calling and applying for a financial hardship (Which is something i can do on my own), but I feel like it's more of a streamlined service since i dont have to make all the calls. I'm currently 37k in debt and am overbudget by $253/monthly. 

Do you think I should just do this on my own? Has anybody had any success stories with ACCC or someone similar? 

1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I try to take care of the debt mysefl? Or hire a Debt Management company?

Since you are overbudget I would let them handle it, they will get your payments down as well. I dont know what their fees are but if they are high you might consider doing it yourself. I used such a place in the early 80s and they did help me get to a point where I could take it over myself. Welcome to the board.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.