Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we DV, PFD or do nothing?

tag
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

Should we DV, PFD or do nothing?

There are a several collection items on DH's reports that I'm not sure whether we should take action or not.

CA   /   OC  /   Balance  / DOLA / date assigned / DOFD / Drop off date

Credit Bureau Ass / Ray Stone -Rivers Edge/ $418 ($302 orig) / unknown / 8-07-02/ unknown / 5/2009
Sharp-Jackson Coll / Credit Bureau Assoc / $374 / not reported / 11-05-04 / unknown / 5/2009
CBA-Col Bur of Amer / Pacific Bell /  $481 / 7-1-02  / 6-1-02 / 6-2002 / 2009
AFNI Bloom /  Cingular / $96  / 9-2003 / 9-29-05 / 9-2003 (includes 120 late) / 8-2010
Coll Co of Amer/ SBC Southwestern /  $187  / 5-1-03 / 11-1-03 / 5-2003 / 2010
The first three items will be gone in about a year, so I'm not too concerned about them.  The last two are a bit more recent and I wonder if it makes sense to take action. 

AFNI is included on all 3 reports.  DH disputed with the CBAs last year or the year before and there's a note that says: "Account information disputed by consumer (Meets requirement of
the Fair Credit Reporting Act)."  I don't think he ever got any "real" validation on this though.  It's probably something to do with his ex-W's cell phone, but he doesn't think he owes anything.

CCA/SBC is only on EQ.  I don't know much of anything about that one.

Should we DV?  PFD?  Do nothing?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should we DV, PFD or do nothing?

Are they within SOL???...if not...DV them...if they validate...send a PFD letter...DW just got a collection removed from Afni...for her cousin...I don't know if they do PFD up front...but that was on a paid collection...from 04...for the SBC Southwerstern...is that a telephone bill or something???...if so...contact the OC..and see if they will still accept payment...and pull the account of out collections...
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you getting this info. from your CR or from a monitoeing service?  Your CR should have complete info.  (drop date)

What is your SOL?   Were this accounts received in more then 1 state if so  what is the SOL in the state where you received credit?

AFNI Bloom /  Cingular / $96  / 9-2003 / 9-29-05 / 9-2003 (includes 120 late) / 8-2010

If either of these were cell phones   Federal SOL is 2 years
                     I would call the OC and ask for the amount owed....do they still own the account....and when was your last payment.  
                     Was the account in his & X  name or just hers? 

Never dispute a baddie unless you know what it is & have or have proof that it isn't yours or incase of a CA  you have sent a DV first.

SOL

Message Edited by HappyDays on 07-16-2008 11:41 AM
Message 3 of 9
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

slyhouse08 wrote:
Are they within SOL???...if not...DV them...if they validate...send a PFD letter...DW just got a collection removed from Afni...for her cousin...I don't know if they do PFD up front...but that was on a paid collection...from 04...for the SBC Southwerstern...is that a telephone bill or something???...if so...contact the OC..and see if they will still accept payment...and pull the account of out collections...

Thanks for the reply Sly.  I don't know if they're within SOL.  Prior to 2004 DH lived in Tennessee.  We live in Louisiana now.  I'm not sure how to apply the SOL dates.

The amounts are so small.  What big company would sue over $96?  We could easily PIF if that would help.

The Southwestern TL looks like a phone company to me.  I wouldn't know how to contact them though.  And we only  have a partial account number.  I guess it couldn't hurt to try though.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL applies to....where you had the account (received credit) or where you live now.....

Tenn....is 6  years     La is 3 - 10 years

You need to know the DOFD/DOLA   and this is set by the OC.   CAs are known to re-age.

IF the OC is reporting it will give the drop date on the CR......otherwise call the CRAs and ask.

If the OC is not reporting..... call the OC and see when the last payment was made.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 07-16-2008 11:58 AM
Message 5 of 9
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

HappyDays wrote:
Are you getting this info. from your CR or from a monitoeing service?  Your CR should have complete info.  (drop date)

What is your SOL?   Were this accounts received in more then 1 state if so  what is the SOL in the state where you received credit?

If either of these were cell phones   Federal SOL is 2 years
                     I would call the OC and ask for the amount owed....do they still own the account....and when was your last payment.  
                     Was the account in his & X  name or just hers? 

Never dispute a baddie unless you know what it is & have or have proof that it isn't yours or incase of a CA  you have sent a DV first.

SOL

Message Edited by HappyDays on 07-16-2008 11:41 AM

Happy, I think the report was from a CB.  I saved a pdf copy and the url says https://www.econsumer.equifax.com on it.  I can take a look at home later for a printed copy that might have a drop off date somewhere.  Like I said, this is only on his Eq report.

Cingular was definitely a cell phone.  DH has used Sprint as long as he can recall, so he's pretty sure it's hers, but probably in his name, so he gets the neg TL.
DOLA on both of these TLs was in 2003. 
DH doesn't have any proof of anything.
TN is probably the state where credit was received.

Message 6 of 9
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

None of the OCs are reporting. We don't have contact info or addresses or complete account numbers to contact the OCs.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look up the main # for sprint & give them the account #  or  The phone #  his or her name & SS#.... what ever is needed to find the account .He might have to be the one calling............they might say they have nothing on file OR they will have the dates needed.

If they will not talk to you....this is what I have to do here.......have phone in hand & get the person on the line that he needs to talk to....give phone to him & have him verify who he is & then say : talk to my wify:  you take over.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

HappyDays wrote:
Look up the main # for sprint & give them the account #  or  The phone #  his or her name & SS#.... what ever is needed to find the account .He might have to be the one calling............they might say they have nothing on file OR they will have the dates needed.

If they will not talk to you....this is what I have to do here.......have phone in hand & get the person on the line that he needs to talk to....give phone to him & have him verify who he is & then say : talk to my wify:  you take over.

Happy,

I am not trying to hijack this thread...but...is there some type of form letter that can be send to some of the creditor's on my DD and SIL credit reports whereby they give me permission to speak with the said creditor.  For instance, dear SIL needs some answers on his SL, but can never get someone on the tele after hours.  There are a couple of other situations where this type of letter would come in handy, like the one you mention above.

Message Edited by kidshelper on 07-16-2008 02:22 PM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.