Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Progress

tag
JohnSnow
Valued Member

Slow Progress

Just an update on my repair journey in case anyone who is starting their own journey is reading and needs a little boost in motivation. 

<< Rewrind to 2019

I started with a crappy credit profile with scores in the low 500s across the board. I had late payments, collections, and charge-offs. It really brought me down mentally and I had no idea where to start or whether the damages could even be fixed. I went on this forum and found some phone numbers and some emails and went to work. While waiting for callbacks and mail, I tried to apply for credit cards and could only get a secured Open Sky credit card with a $300 limit. 

Fast forward to 2020>>

I brought the scores up to mid 600s (EX 675, TU 676, EQ 649) and was able to add my first reward-earning credit card (cash reward from Bank of America). I also applied for Capital One's secured card in hopes of one day upgrading it to their other cards. I was approved and went back to making those calls and writing those letters. I was succesful in removing some baddies. I guess some people just got tired of hearing from me Smiley Very Happy

Fast forward to 2021>>

The scores increased by very little but was able to add BofA's Travel Rewards to the wallet. Two of the secured cards have become unsecured and the limits got to a point where I did not have to make multiple payments throughout the week. 

Fast forward to today>>

My scores now sit at 688s with one at 700. Although I still have some late payments left in my report, I was able to remove a lot of the baddies. I now have two additional cards (Blue Cash Preffered and American Express Gold). 

A couple things I learned: 

1. Be ready for some rejections and take a break when you need it. Rejections are bound to happen and its good to be prepared but there is a limit to how many times a person can be rejected before it gets to them. There was a couple of times when someone called me about my Good-Will request and placed me on hold for an hour only to come back and say no. I wanted to scream and decided to pause everything for a couple weeks. When I came back, I was refreshed and more ambitious.

2. Don't do what I did and check scores on a daily or even weekly basis. I checked once per month when a new report was ready or when there was a new alert. Time is your friend. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Slow Progress

Congrats.

Message 2 of 3
sznthescore
Established Contributor

Re: Slow Progress

Persistence paid off. TIME is most definitely one's friend when you stay focused on the goal. Keep up the good work!

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.